Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Repairing bullet points

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2012, 09:39 AM
Silver Member

Repairing bullet points

How would one go about repairing damaged bullet points?

Here's the story of why I ask. The other night I loaded 20 7mm RM cartridges topped with Berger 168 VLD bullets. When done, I noticed the tips were somewhat bent; not much, as if dropped and the tip struck the floor first at an angle. I know I didn't drop them and I checked the seating die to see if the bullet tip made contact with the stem - it does not. When I checked the rest of the orange box I found that many there were also dinged up.

These bullets probably will be fine for my purposes as I won't be shooting them much over 4 or 500 yards. But I wouldn't want to shoot them any longer without repairing them.

Does anyone have any tips or tricks to mending this problem or should I just load up and fire away? or just use them for foulers and the like?

Thanks

A 'do nothing' Congress is not always a bad thing. If they pass enough laws, it should be entirely possible to sterilize one's complete life experience.

"The 'tolerant' left has come full circle... and has now become what they so despised."
Old 03-22-2012, 10:44 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Repairing bullet points

Checkout Kevin Cram's (MCR) meplat trimmer.

ED

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
Old 03-22-2012, 10:45 AM
Platinum Member

Sinclair has a metplate uniformer. There was a discussion on this recent, do site search in up right corner.
Old 03-22-2012, 10:50 AM
Platinum Member

If you go through a box of Berger bullets and look really close you will find quite a few that are not "perfect". I think they are dings left from the bullet making process and my conclusions is if Berger is fine with it so am I but....... If I find one that is beyond the norm I straighten it up using a finger nail board you know like sand paper.
They shoot plenty good so I don't give it much concern.

There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man. Sir Winston Churchill.

Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom. Einstein
Old 03-22-2012, 11:13 AM
Silver Member

Thanks everyone. I've looked at the mentioned tools and will keep them in mind.

I've been shooting Bergers for a few years now and yes I agree the there are minor imperfections with tips in every box. These are just a bit more than the norm. I'm just going to touch up with a small file and go.

Thanks again

A 'do nothing' Congress is not always a bad thing. If they pass enough laws, it should be entirely possible to sterilize one's complete life experience.

"The 'tolerant' left has come full circle... and has now become what they so despised."