Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Repairing bullet points

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2012, 09:39 AM
Silver Member

Location: NY, #50 on the all time best States to live in! and droppin' fast! :)
Repairing bullet points

How would one go about repairing damaged bullet points?

Here's the story of why I ask. The other night I loaded 20 7mm RM cartridges topped with Berger 168 VLD bullets. When done, I noticed the tips were somewhat bent; not much, as if dropped and the tip struck the floor first at an angle. I know I didn't drop them and I checked the seating die to see if the bullet tip made contact with the stem - it does not. When I checked the rest of the orange box I found that many there were also dinged up.

These bullets probably will be fine for my purposes as I won't be shooting them much over 4 or 500 yards. But I wouldn't want to shoot them any longer without repairing them.

Does anyone have any tips or tricks to mending this problem or should I just load up and fire away? or just use them for foulers and the like?

Thanks
Old 03-22-2012, 10:44 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Repairing bullet points

Checkout Kevin Cram's (MCR) meplat trimmer.

ED

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
Old 03-22-2012, 10:45 AM
Platinum Member

Sinclair has a metplate uniformer. There was a discussion on this recent, do site search in up right corner.
Old 03-22-2012, 10:50 AM
Platinum Member

If you go through a box of Berger bullets and look really close you will find quite a few that are not "perfect". I think they are dings left from the bullet making process and my conclusions is if Berger is fine with it so am I but....... If I find one that is beyond the norm I straighten it up using a finger nail board you know like sand paper.
They shoot plenty good so I don't give it much concern.

There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man. Sir Winston Churchill.

Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom. Einstein
Old 03-22-2012, 11:13 AM
Silver Member

Location: NY, #50 on the all time best States to live in! and droppin' fast! :)

Thanks everyone. I've looked at the mentioned tools and will keep them in mind.

I've been shooting Bergers for a few years now and yes I agree the there are minor imperfections with tips in every box. These are just a bit more than the norm. I'm just going to touch up with a small file and go.

Thanks again