Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Removing Live Primers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2010, 01:44 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Removing Live Primers

I'll agree here. I've decapped quite a few by just doing it very gently, and the idea to wrap a towel around the press isn't a bad thought, either. I'd say forget about filling the cases with water, though. I've followed the age old advice to apply a little penetrating oil and let them sit a while to deactivate the compound, and I'm here to tell you, modern primers are pretty damned hard to kill! Always gotten a bit of a laugh about the notion that handling primers with your fingers may impart enough oil to kill the compound, since I've found several that were still perfectly "live" after a penetrating oil soaking. Being that I've never (and wouldn't advise, anyway) reused the primers that were knocked out, the thought of just popping them is perfectly good, too. If nothing else, it gives one an appreciation of the power that's contained in that little cup, and you'll treat them a lot more respectfully afterwards, I guarantee.

Kevin Thomas
Lapua USA
Old 03-17-2010, 03:37 PM
Platinum Member

I put on ear plugs and safety glasses and decap them gently, as others have done. Still have my eyelids. Never had one go off. But I do try to protect my eyes and hearing should one go off. I don't go so far as to cover my face to protect my good looks.
Old 03-17-2010, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtnMT View Post
If there is any other way I would like to hear it. I have always done the same thing with no trouble, knock on wood. The only other thing that I could think of was to pull and empty the case then fire the primers. I did not want to do that so I have always just decapped them.

I would like to hear from others on this.

Steve
you can shoot the primers off if you want,,,but I just deprime the live one gently,,but after I deprime live primers,,I save them and re-use them again,,,and never have had any issues with miss-fires
Old 03-17-2010, 04:57 PM
Platinum Member

I like the bang and clean your rifle afterwards method.
Old 03-17-2010, 06:38 PM
Gold Member

You just got to ask your self, Do I Feel Lucky Today, well do ya punk?
Cause if that primer goes off just as it is coming out of the case, it is going some where, very fast, depending on the make and design of your press it could leave you very uncomfortable.
Why take the chance just fire them or put your new load on top of them.
Dave
Old 03-17-2010, 07:26 PM
Platinum Member

Every article on reloading procedures I've ever read that addressed this issue has always been emphatic - that one should never decap live primers. I've already admitted that I do it. When I deprime on my RCBS Rockchucker, there's an opening for the primer to depart the primer pocket/casing directly down the center of the Ram. I've considered the odds of injury should I light a primer up, and with my press I decided they are acceptably low - provided I'm wearing eye and ear protection.

But the prescribed 'safe' method is always written the same way. Fire them off in the firearm, and then decap the dead primer. This method is the rule of the road.