Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Reloads dont fit down in magazine. To long now what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2012, 08:35 PM

Reloads dont fit down in magazine. To long now what?

I have a Christesen arms 300 rum. Remington action. Loading 180 Nosler accubonds with 95 gr of retumbo. I'm .025 off the lands. The gun is a tack driver. Never tried to put bullet in the magazine until I went out west. Oops. To long by about .130. Now what just seat bullet back so it will fit into magazine. I'm going to be at least .150 off the lands. Is this common. What do you think is going to happen to my accuracy.
Old 11-16-2012, 08:42 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Reloads dont fit down in magazine. To long now what?

I prefer single shots these days anyway. 1 in the tube and two next to the rifle prone.
Old 11-16-2012, 10:43 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
I prefer single shots these days anyway. 1 in the tube and two next to the rifle prone.
A slight variation-I use a slip on cartridge holder so there are rounds available whenever I pick it up, and load singly. 3 rounds seems to be what I have on there most times.
Old 11-17-2012, 12:18 AM

Hi there, I would do another round of load development on an OAL that will fit your mag length!
That way you will already have a load that you know works but can only be single feed only & one that will work to mag length for when you are out hunting.
You wont know the difference in accuracy until you try the new loads.
You never know the mag lenght round may be even better as some rounds go better with more jump!
Old 11-17-2012, 08:16 AM
Platinum Member

Most of us have run into the same problem at some time or another. One thing that I've noticed is that "one" long round will usually fit into the magazine because the bullet tip sits over the feed ramp rather than down into the magazine well where multiple rounds stack.

That should at least provide you with a quick follow-up shot without having to manually reload.
Old 11-17-2012, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varmint Hunter View Post
Most of us have run into the same problem at some time or another. One thing that I've noticed is that "one" long round will usually fit into the magazine because the bullet tip sits over the feed ramp rather than down into the magazine well where multiple rounds stack.

That should at least provide you with a quick follow-up shot without having to manually reload.
Thats probably correct but then you would have different POI between the rounds IMO.
Old 11-18-2012, 06:49 PM
Silver Member

Have seen that some people have taken a Dremel tool to the fronf of the magazine know that it works with a single stack mag beleive that is an article on this web site on how to cut the mag