Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Berger Bullets

Reloading vs. Factory Ammo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-22-2008, 08:22 PM
Silver Member
This is always a fun one to explain. First off everyone has there own reasons for reloading. I reload for numerous reasons including cost and quality. As for the cost, it really doesn't cost that much to get into it. You can still pickup a package from Lee to get started for under $100.

On the price issue. I save on account of quantity of ammo I reload. When you go through hundreds to thousands of round in a year and reloading cuts my cost by approx 2/3's. And the equipment doesn't have to cost a fortune. You can get your initial setup for under 100 bucks but over the years you will add more equipment that cost a bit more

As for quality. Handloads give you the ablity to load ammunition custom tailored to your rifle. Where as factory rounds are loaded to SAMMI specs. Which is fine if every rifle were exactly the same but they are not.

All this adds up to quality handloads will always be better then factory rounds. However handloading is not for everyone.

Unread 05-22-2008, 09:24 PM
Platinum Member

If you could find a factory load that shot sub 1/2 MOA and only hunted
with one rifle you probably dont need to hand load.

Each rifle is unique and normaly requires a certain load in order to perform
at it's best some times if your lucky it may like a factory load (Allthough
very rare).

There is something very satisfying about takeing a load that you developed
placing it in your rifle/pistol and having it shoot better than any other load
including the factory ones.

Factory loads are loaded to shoot in all type and brands of firearms so they
work better in some than others.

The best compairson I can make is tying your on fly and catching a nice
trout with it when nothing else would work.

Just my 2 cents