Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Reloading in Unconditioned Space

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2013, 06:33 AM
Gold Member

Re: Reloading in Unconditioned Space

I started reloading in Houston (and now live in Las VEgas where rust is something I do not worry about), which is VERY humid 11 months out of the year. I kept the safe, powder and primers in the controlled area of the house, but the dies and bench were in the garage.

My father-in-law had lived in south texas for roughly 50 years and reloaded that entire time. He wasw a chemist, showed me the benefits of using a VPI corrosion inhibitor to keep rust at bay. I bought and used both the paper (to wrap individual items) and tabs to keep an entire drawer safe. It works and dramatically reduced the amount of time I spent chasing rust. The key with the VPI is to keep the drawer closed or item wwrapped to let the protector do its thing. Here are some examples of what I am talking about. Someone makes a vci tab made out of cardboard that I put into every one of my die boxes. I can't remember who they were. but the tabs worked extremely well.

Cortec Vapor-phase Corrosion Inhibitor (VCI) Products

I used something like this in every drawer in my bench. I rarely had to wipe my tools off.

DAUBRITEŽ 10 DISK VCI EMITTER | Brownells

Jeffvn
Old 05-10-2013, 01:48 PM
Silver Member

I keep my reloading equipment in the barn, unheated. I have not yet had any issues with rust. My powder and primers are kept in the manufactures containers that are stored in a vented locker that has slicone packets in it to control humidity.
Old 05-10-2013, 01:50 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
I'm not positive on the reloading components in the garage, but I wouldn't keep my gunsafe in the garage. Humidity and temp swings will cause moisture and your guns will get rusty quick.

I mean, do what you want with your stuff, I was just stating my opinion on it, and trying to be helpful so you don't ruin your guns.

Yeah, I was concerned at first as well... Most of what I've read from guys who have safes in their garages say rusty guns isn't an issue if you have a golden rod or desiccant, or both in the safe.
Old 05-10-2013, 08:42 PM
Silver Member

My 17hmr lives in my pickup year round in missouri...no rust...my wifes 204 lives under the bed, if we go out shootin durin the summer i have to take her gun out a half hour or so before we shoot and then wipe it down after the condensation forms....i too worry bout powder in the garage but plan on building a room in the back and climate controling it best i can....btw my garage is 30'x30'....

Side note, im glad my wsm is stainless altho it still gets "sweated in" before shooting.....
Old 05-11-2013, 01:57 AM
Silver Member

Spend $350 and frame off half the garage into a man room. Put a dehumidifier in the gun safe along with primers and powder, a flat screen on the wall and have at it.
Old 05-11-2013, 09:00 AM
Platinum Member

I'm in N. central Montana so I get the same weather as you just a day sooner. I refuse to reload in the garage. Temp swings and humidity affect your scale as well, and in the winter it's just damned uncomfortable. I have to want to be at the bench, so if I'm cold bundled up I'm not comfy, heaters running (means air movement). In the summer it's just miserable in the garage so you open the door (more air movement).

I would advise a clearing out a closet if you have to, or building a takedown bench that you can set up in a spare room. In one house I had my entire setup in a closet, it was crowded to be sure but I made it work and it worked for 5 years and thousands of rounds.

Take a look here for some ideas
Woodworking Plans for Immediate Download from PlansNOW.com
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe