Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Reloading in Unconditioned Space

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2013, 01:57 PM
Bronze Member

Reloading in Unconditioned Space

Have some questions for guys who reload in their garages. Recently moved and looks like I'll be setting up shop in the garage. Any moisture/humidity issues? Are your dies more prone to rust; do you do anything special for powder and primer storage, etc.? I'll be installing a heater to help regulate temps in the winter, but summer will see some big temp swings and high humidity. Planning on having the gun safe in the garage, so thought about storing dies in the safe (it will have a dehumidifier rod). Live in ND, so will see both ends of the temp extremes.

Any info or advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 05-09-2013, 02:09 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Reloading in Unconditioned Space

I'm not positive on the reloading components in the garage, but I wouldn't keep my gunsafe in the garage. Humidity and temp swings will cause moisture and your guns will get rusty quick.

I mean, do what you want with your stuff, I was just stating my opinion on it, and trying to be helpful so you don't ruin your guns.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 05-09-2013, 02:17 PM
Silver Member

I think I would keep powder and primers in a more controlled climate, in other words in the house.
Old 05-09-2013, 02:38 PM
Platinum Member

I turned a spare bedroom in the house into my mancave/reloading room.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 05-09-2013, 02:59 PM
Gold Member

I agree that storing guns and reloading equipment in the garage is asking for trouble.

Parking your car in the garage after driving in the rain/snow turns the entire garage into a steam room.

If possible I would say store everything somewhere in the house and then set up in the garage to do your reloading if there is no other space.
Old 05-09-2013, 10:24 PM
Bronze Member

I started reloading in my garage and was mindful to take powder into more stable conditions for storage. Living in a humid area, I also oiled my dies and other metallic equipment frequently to avoid rust.
Old 05-09-2013, 10:49 PM

Im glad you asked this question.

(Now excuse me while I move my components in the house)