Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Reloading suggestions for .338 Lapua

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2012, 09:34 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Reloading suggestions for .338 Lapua

Hey there... As I just posted on Green 788's thread in next folder down from "reloading"... I'm am shooting almost an identicle load to his with retumbo and 300 gr sierras and am very happy with it....

One thing I would check is your case neck run out... I was going along good when I started load development with mine then things went to crap on my 3rd loading of my Lapua brass.... Turns out I had a bent decapping pin in my standard RCBS dies that was giving me real bad case neck and bullet runout and was sending fliers all over the place...
Bought some redding competition bushing dies and that brought every thing back down to nice tight groups....

I usually anneal my cases every 3 or 4 loading cycles (about when I can feel the neck tension start to increase on resizing and bullet seating... Don't ask me how I can tell, but it just feels like the brass is resisting both oporations more, I anneal and it goes back to normal....)

Oh I have also tinkered with the 285 hpbt's and retumbo and had a potentially good load but kinda quit it cause the 300 SMK's were shooting so well I felt the time and powder involved in developing it wasn't worth it for me... I have the load info around here somewhere... If I can find it I'll post it for you... Found it:

285 gr hornady hpbt match
91.4 gr retumbo
2822fps
(couldn't find the oal but it seems I remember i had it set so it was the same distance from the lands as my 300 gr SMK load)

Also tried a box of 300gr Bergers but they preferred being seated out close to the lands in my gun and that put them way over my overall mag length so it was a deal breaker for me...
Orch
Old 04-17-2012, 08:06 AM

Thanks for the info everyone. Every bit is helpful. My flyer from my last batch may have been due to the wind. I will be rechecking that load and a few others as soon as I can get a super calm day. That can be difficult sometimes in Montana.......

Any suggestions on case prep. I usually clean them up good and shouldn't need to anneal anything yet, as I am just starting the second loading cycle on them. I'm told trimming them is important after about the 3rd firing.

I also have some 250 accubonds for hunting I'd like to try. Any load suggestions on that one? I have some H-4831sc on hand I'd like to try with these.

I have also noticed that the hotter the load is, the more to the right my gun shoots. Is this fairly normal?

Going bear hunting is less than two weeks, so I'm trying to get this thing dialed in............................
Old 04-17-2012, 01:38 PM

Wind was good this morning so I got out to shoot some more test loads. I can shoot 300 yards out my back door, so that's where it was.

Did different loads and different seating depths for each one. 87-89 of RL25 and .030" - .020" off the lands with the Hornady 285 bthp. Looks like seating depth may be my issue. In every case, the .020" off the lands was much better with 88 being the best at 1.5" at 300.

My next test will be .010" off the lands with 87, 87.5 and 88 and see where that takes me. If all is good, I may have my load, or I may try to fine tune it with .1 or .2 grains of powder in each direction.

Do I need to be concerned with extra pressure going from .020" to .010" off the lands?
Old 04-17-2012, 07:31 PM
Bronze Member

Hey there sounds like you are headed in the right direction.... As far as seeing pressure spike as you go from .020 to .010 from the lands.... I want to say no, if you are using a powder load lower then your previous max.... But nothing is for sure... Keep an eye on you primers etc... They will tell you if the pressure starts to get up there... If you are running your test loads over a chrono at the same time that may tell you too... I usually find my es will start to go south when I get near pressure problems....

Orch
Old 04-17-2012, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orch View Post
Hey there sounds like you are headed in the right direction.... As far as seeing pressure spike as you go from .020 to .010 from the lands.... I want to say no, if you are using a powder load lower then your previous max.... But nothing is for sure... Keep an eye on you primers etc... They will tell you if the pressure starts to get up there... If you are running your test loads over a chrono at the same time that may tell you too... I usually find my es will start to go south when I get near pressure problems....

Orch
Thanks Orch. I loaded up another batch this evening and we'll see how that goes on the next quiet day. I didn't think I'd have pressure signs, but I've only been reloading a couple of years. My max, that I came up with, is 89 grains. The bolt got somewhat sticky after a few shots, so I called it quits there. Besides, 89 didn't shoot that good anyway. 87 through 88 feel good and also seem to shoot the best.
Old 04-17-2012, 08:36 PM
Platinum Member

Sinclair makes a chamber length gauge that fits in your brass.Then you can tell actual length and trim accordingly, the theory that a bit longer neck is a good thing for sealing up
Old 04-17-2012, 09:28 PM
Silver Member

Retumbo and match kings work for me though rl 25 produced 1/4 inch groups in my 340 wby. If you are getting 1.5 inch groups at 400 in a factory gun I would be done.