Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Reloading scale

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2013, 10:59 AM
Bronze Member

Re: Reloading scale

My apology Sully. I'm just a grouchy old fart, and someone prior to you got my dander up. I normally don't post on this forum , but on accurate rifle. Just trying to share some knowledge I have acquired in 40 years of competive shooting and reloading. A scale accurate to one hundredth of a grain , by itself is not the magical ingredient, how ever when you stack all the tolerances, ie case weight, case volume, bullet weight& bearing surface, pointing bullets to increase balistic coefficient, neck turning cases to insure consistent neck pressure etc. when you shoot at a thousand yds I know you won't believe but 1 or 2 granules of powder will show itself! At 100 to 500 yds you will never notice. One good example is trimming meplats and repointing the bullet. In my f class gun 7 WSM at 1000 yds a reprinted berger180 hybrid will impact 10" higher than an out of the box. This is because of the increased BC. The verticalis no big deal, but with that increase in BC the wind factor is reduced which is a big help at 1000yds. Anyway I agin apologize for being a jerk! JVON
Old 10-18-2013, 11:18 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sully2 View Post
While I agree they can weigh 1 grain of Varget....one grain making a big difference...I seriously doubt!

Sully2

Here in Salt Lake City, I have watched the local boys in the long range shoots,

get down to the 1/2 grain in both the powder weight as well as the bullet weight..
Old 10-18-2013, 11:28 AM
Platinum Member

JVON,

In an attempt to call you out on your 1 granule of Varget = .02gr, I counted up 50 and put them on both my cheap e-scale and my nice beam scale. So, come and get your come-uppins.......

E-scale : 1.0 grains

Beam scale: 1.0 grains

Wait, wait, that is MY come-uppins! Not kidding when I say my beam was LASER locked on even at 1 grain. Callin' a spade a spade, your 1 granule = .02 grain claim is dead nuts for the Varget I have here.
Old 10-18-2013, 12:19 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knapper View Post
Sully2

Here in Salt Lake City, I have watched the local boys in the long range shoots,

get down to the 1/2 grain in both the powder weight as well as the bullet weight..
Not "1 grain" but one individual granule ( grain) of powder. Certainly loads that vary by "1/2 grain" will perform differently
Old 10-18-2013, 12:43 PM
Bronze Member

sully;

I HAD to laugh at ME on that one??? LOL Grain for grain

Maybe KELLOG would like to chime in on that one for their CERIAL?? (Grin)
Old 10-18-2013, 05:50 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
IMO as well....

When I'm being really critical about charges, I weigh each and every one with my beam scale (I have an inherent distrust for electronic scales, no matter what brand).

Bulk loading, I weigh every tenth charge. Now, I use a culver type charging station instead of the normal varible capacity like RCBS or Lee or Hornady sells. A Culver charging station throws inherently more accurate charges but costs substantially more and on the plus side, a Culver unit is unaffected by powder shape. Normal displacement type charging stations do fine with spherical powder but not so good with extruded rod powders. Culver measures don't care about powder extruded shape, they throw consistent charges no matter what.

Finally a slight powder variation shouldn't cause serious accuracy issues, Factory rounds vary a bit. Pull some and weigh them sometime and compare.
Thank you. I use my RCBS 1010 only when loading for my 7mm. just got the best group I have ever had. A alka seltzer covered 4 shot group at 200 yds.
Old 10-18-2013, 09:31 PM
Platinum Member

For everyone's information, Ohaus makes some damn fine laboratory/medical grade beam scales besides reloading scales.

Of course they cost a Kings ransom but I consider Ohaus to be a quality unit so thats what I use...

Never fear, my abject fear of electronics has me using an abacus for balancing my checkbook too.