Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Reloading scale

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2013, 12:44 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Reloading scale

Most balance beams weigh to .01 grain electronics weigh to .002 grain for inexpensive ones to .001 for expensive scales. .002 equals 1 granule of Varget , of you think that dodent make a difference than don't try F-class or 1000yd bench rest!

Nonsense. I'm sure you read the web a lot but if you're going to present youself as a web authority you really need to get your terms correct. All reloading branded scales, beam and digital, are spect' at .1 gr (one tenth) because that's as much repeatability as reloaders need.

.01 gr = one hundreth of a grain
.002 gr. = two thousanths of a grain

No rationally priced scales are available with that kind of accuracy or repeatability, you're refering to lab scales costing in the tens of thousands of dollars.

If you think such tiny variations in powder charges make a difference at any range you're going to be shocked when you learn how variable the internal volume of the best of cases is and how much variation there is between any two primers.
Old 10-16-2013, 01:04 PM
Bronze Member

Nonsense yourself jerk! Never claimed to be an expert, so I misplaced a 0, my bad. I am well aware of case volume a primer performance. If you knew anything about long range shooting you would know we seperate cases by weight and WATER VOLUME! We also do extensive load testing with different powders. That's the problem with forums, guys like you that have nothing constructive to add. Sincerely yours! JVON
Old 10-16-2013, 01:08 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomtube View Post
Most balance beams weigh to .01 grain electronics weigh to .002 grain for inexpensive ones to .001 for expensive scales. .002 equals 1 granule of Varget , of you think that dodent make a difference than don't try F-class or 1000yd bench rest!

Nonsense. I'm sure you read the web a lot but if you're going to present youself as a web authority you really need to get your terms correct. All reloading branded scales, beam and digital, are spect' at .1 gr (one tenth) because that's as much repeatability as reloaders need.

.01 gr = one hundreth of a grain
.002 gr. = two thousanths of a grain

No rationally priced scales are available with that kind of accuracy or repeatability, you're refering to lab scales costing in the tens of thousands of dollars.

If you think such tiny variations in powder charges make a difference at any range you're going to be shocked when you learn how variable the internal volume of the best of cases is and how much variation there is between any two primers.

+1. Common sense says that this level of consistency is impossible to maintain over the whole cartridge "system". If you have a 40gr charge, .002 grains represents .005% variation. I would bet the in-lot consistency (accept/reject) spec for any powder is several orders of magnitude higher than that. Then mix in varying bulk density of the powder, tolerences in primers, cases, bullets etc (as Boomtube states) and you are looking at no tangible benefit that can be attributed to that level of precision in charge weight.
Old 10-16-2013, 01:27 PM
Bronze Member

As usual both of you are speculating, grab your rifles capable of1000 yd precision shooting load with the kind of variations you are preaching , then tell me it doesn't matter. I do it weekly and have 1st hand experience, once again you are speculating
Old 10-16-2013, 01:41 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvon View Post
As usual both of you are speculating, grab your rifles capable of1000 yd precision shooting load with the kind of variations you are preaching , then tell me it doesn't matter. I do it weekly and have 1st hand experience, once again you are speculating

Me personally.?? I say your flat wrong.!
Old 10-16-2013, 01:54 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvon View Post
Whoa, easy tiger. Not trying to get personal. I think that holding to 0.005% variance is unrealistic, as manufacturing tolerance of all other components (including powder consistency) is going to be higher than that. If you disagree, please lead us to some data that proves your case (I have been wrong more than once before). I am not accepting "I do it every week" as data. The glory of Internet forums, either one of us could be a Camp Perry champion, or a lonely 15 year old tired of playing D&D . . .

I really don't want to see it get personal, I'd rather see a good discussion and learn something.
Old 10-16-2013, 02:32 PM
Bronze Member

Varmit Hunter; As I said earlier my bad for misplacing 0's I use a A&D FX 300i and a Prometheus II which both hold 2 hundredths of a grain. I also check bearing surface on bullets and sort to .001 in , I trim meplats and repoint to increase ballistic coefficient. I weigh and sort cases to 1 grain then check h2o volume. I turn case necks to within .005 for consistent neck tension, then uniform primer pockets, flash holes and chamber outside and VLD champ her inside. No single item will make a visible diff in performance but all tolerances stacked certainly show on the target and the chronograph. My standard Diviations are generally in the single digits. By the way Sully , don't much care what you think! JVON