Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Reloading room/area lighting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2012, 01:17 PM
Silver Member

Location: NY, #50 on the all time best States to live in! and droppin' fast! :)
Reloading room/area lighting

This question isn't about reloading but rather the reloading room/area itself. In an ideal world, What type of lighting would one want in their reloading area? I'm asking not only of light intensity, position, color, glare and related parameters but also cost to operate, excess heat output and perhaps most importantly to reloading is magnetic interference.

I'm in the middle of a significant electrical upgrade in the house and I might as well get this done right the second time around while i'm at it. I currently have 4' flourescent tubes on the ceiling and the light is ok but the ballasts do mess with the scales, both electronic and balance beam.
My reloading "area" is a corner of the basement where I've recycled the old kitchen cabinets and part of the countertop. As such, I would like to have not only lights from the ceiling but also under the upper cabinets. The goal is a well lit work area that doesn't interfere with the scales and other electronics. The ceilings are 7' 4" and not finished (yet).

I've asked some similar questions at the local electrical supply but they seem to get lost once I get past the cosmetic questions. The magnetic interference question drew multiple "deer in the headlights" stares.

Any electrical or lighting engineers here?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 01-24-2012, 01:03 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Reloading room/area lighting

I have 3 of these in my reloading area in the garage----it looks like a hospital operating room. Have a fixture over the presses with 4k bulbs.

(277 Volt) 200 Watt - 8U CFL - 600 W Equal - Mogul Base - 5000K Full Spectrum - 50 Lumens per Watt - 15 Month Warranty - Energy Miser FE-IIIB-200W/277V | 1000Bulbs.com

In the house if it were me I would use LED recessed spots. I have one of these in my kitchen over the sink and for 20 watts it is almost too bright LOL.
Old 01-24-2012, 03:06 PM
Platinum Member

LED sounds like an interesting idea. I'm in the same spot - going to change lights in the basement in the reloading area, and hadn't even thought of fluorescent interference.

Those large bulbs you show in your link Boss Hoss - do those cause any electronic interference issues?
Old 01-24-2012, 05:30 PM
Silver Member

Location: NY, #50 on the all time best States to live in! and droppin' fast! :)

The LED is interesting. I installed them last night in the kitchen under cabinets and was surprised by the quality and quantity of light. They use only a fraction of the juice that halogen, or even flourecents consume. If they have a limitation it is they don't seem to illuminate well from a distance; One would need a lot of them on the ceiling to illuminate the room. BUT I have only seen the small under cabinet model. There may well be something else. I'm going to dig deeper.