Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

reloading question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2005, 10:43 AM
Platinum Member

Re: reloading question

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks guys!I appreciate the helpful advice.Sorry took so long for a response.Been hunting my arse off,Good ole whitetails are nowjust starting to rut here.
After I posted for the second time,I really got antsy and wanted to figure what was going on,I called RCBS and talked to a lady and described my delema,she told me that they have had this problem also with the new 325 WSM dies as well.She told me to send my dies along with 5 fired shells and that they would machine my dies and correct the problem,well its the middle of hunting season and this was not an option!!so I went back into the reloading room up at my cousins and began fidling around with the dies,and re-reading the small amount of material for setup in the rcbs manual.In my fiddling around stage ,I reset the sizing die as recomended,then I rotated the sizing die about two turns down even further and stuck a case in the shell holder and gave it a try,I gave the handle a little more then normal tension and then removed the case and tried it in my chamber and shut the bolt.It closed perfectly and the stiffness was gone!!Soo I reexamined the case and everything was fine.So I reloaded about 20 shells this way,ran up the hill to his shooting range and fired 3 rounds,and all was well.Anyways it worked out all right.Thanks again for the help.

[/ QUOTE ]

Kind of figured that was the case -- you gotta hit the bottom of the die HARD, normally "just touching" is not "not gonna do it"

you have to remove the slack from all the moving parts to actually bump the shoulder.

After hunting season you really ought to get a stoney point headspace gauge kit. These bolt on to a set of calipers and will show you how much you are moving the shoulder.

I have had LAPUA 308 brass separate at the head on the 7th firing...shoulders were only moving 0.005 with the FL sizing and it still separated...

I go for 2thou (0.002) bump on most stuff and 0.0005-0.001 bump on BR stuff.

YMMV,
JB
Old 11-14-2005, 10:50 AM
Bronze Member

I have found the same situation as you. With my Redding FL S-type die, I setup the die as recommended, 1/2 turn off my shellholder, resized a case and chambered it. Very sticky. Worked the die down (toward the shellholder) in small increments resizing a case and chambering it each time. I finally came to where the case would chamber easily. No the Rockchucker press has to cam over a lot to get the FL sizing I need. Seems to work fine, guess I need to get a headspace guage and make sure I'm only sizing .001-.002"
Old 11-14-2005, 10:51 AM
Gold Member

I set my dies using a set of 'shoulder bump' measurement gages. You put these on your calibers, insert fired (use 2 or 3) case to measure from the end of case to the somewhere on the shoulder to get measurement. Set the shoulder 'setback' on the dies to bump back 1-2 thousands. Works everytime. Once dies are set you should be good to go. Comp shell holders are great for fine tuning what your rifle likes.
Old 11-14-2005, 11:48 AM
Silver Member

leadtag,
Take a look at our website (below) and you can read all about the exact symptom that you described. There is now a good fix for the symptom of "tight fitting cases". Our website also contains a jillion reloading tips that you'll like.