Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

reloading question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2005, 02:47 AM
Bronze Member

reloading question

I have a 300 WSM and have been reloading for it using brand new Winchester brass,well now Ive shot up all of the new brass and am on the second round use of this brass,the reloads load well and fit well into my magazine,as well as chamber into my gun,its when I go to close the bolt I encounter a little stiffness.Can this be a problem?and what would cause this?thanks for any help.
Old 11-08-2005, 04:09 AM

Re: reloading question

More than likely the resize die isn't set correctly and the shoulder of your cases needs bumping back a tat! Also...if the bullet is "jammed" up into the lands....it could make for hard closing of the bolt! When resizing your cases make certain that the shellholder is touching the bottom of the die when the ram is at the top of the stroke. And as an added precaution against pulling the shoulder forward due to an oversized or rough expander button use some graphite on the necks of the cases and this will let/assist the button to pull back through the neck quite easily!
Old 11-08-2005, 08:27 AM
Silver Member

DO NOT SHOOT THOSE LOADS.....till you make sure that they didn't need trimming. If they are longer than spec you could pinch the case mouth onto the bullet causing a very high pressure spike.

Othere than that Ray has given you great advice--either the case needs a tad more "resizing" or the bullet is seated too long. Neither of these will cause a problem for loads that aren't loaded to the max.
Old 11-08-2005, 09:24 AM
Gold Member

Just a few thoughts...
Some of them will echo RMulhern's post, some will contradict it...
With ony one firing on the brass, you are probably not having problems with your shoulder to base dimension... its more likly that you aren't using quite enough lube on your expander, and are pulling the neck/shoulder junction forward a bit when its extracted.
What dies are you using, and with what brass?
Whatever you do DO NOT set up your sizing die with the bottom of the die touching the shellholder!!!!!!!!!!!!
This will result in excessively setting back the shoulder, and will substantally shorten brass life.
Also, is the pressure present if you chamber, extract, then rechamber the same rounnd? if not, long seated bullets aren't the problem.
A hard closing bolt in and of itself is not a major problem in most rifles. Some of my longer lived brass in my 300WM fits the chamber very snugly and continues to deliver superb accuracy. The whole "bump the shoulder craze" that has taken hold in many circles ignores what it is that bumping the shoulder was intended to do... and thats reduce stress on the action that might produce uneven stress and degrade accuracy. if your "snug fitting" cases shoot well, don't worry about it.
Old 11-08-2005, 10:08 AM
Bronze Member

Thanks guys for the help.Dammit I just loaded 50 of theses suckers last night too [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img].I am using winchester brass,and am using 190 grn smks with 68.5 grns of RE-22, max loading 2900 fps.
My bullets are seated just enough to fit into my Tikka t3 lite magazine with a tad clearance. 5 of the very first 50 I loaded last night cases I loaded were very first loadings,and when I closed the bolt on these there was no slight stiffness like the second loaded ones.
Old 11-08-2005, 10:29 AM
Silver Member

If you love reloading put the stoney point headspace measuring kit on your Christmas list...about $30-35--very wonderful tool. Then go to sinclair and get the shim kit for your sizing die called "skips shims". Then you can set your lock ring for total "factory sizing" and add shims under your sizing die to make ammo perfect for any chamber.
HAVE YOU CHECKED THE CASE LENGTH--ESPECIALLY ON THE ONES THAT ARE "snug"?? (You can still do it). A guy at work here was lucky on a Sako rifle where he had the cases too long....he sheared a couple lugs on his bolt but it didn't come out and rearrange his face!!)
Old 11-08-2005, 11:00 AM

abinok

<<Whatever you do DO NOT set up your sizing die with the bottom of the die touching the shellholder!!!!!!!!!!!!>>

You're right! WHAT I MEANT TO ADD...to my post....which I didn't do because of an incoming call...and I did't proofread was....."once the die is touching the bottom of the shellholder...back the die up approximately the thickness of a nickel!" [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]