Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

reloading press Hornady vs RCBS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2012, 06:28 PM
Silver Member

Re: reloading press Hornady vs RCBS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveinjax View Post
I have not owned the hornady press but have owned their dies and camlock trimmer. I also own or have own all major die makers and hornady dies and tools were the worst by far of all I used. I threw the dies away as I couldn't sell them in good faith ! I started with a rcbs rockchucker and used it for years without complaint. IMO the forster co-ax press is tops and if I didn't want to spend that type of money I would buy ( and do for most rilfes I load for ) Lee dies. The Lee and RCBS are good quality and Lee has a price edge. The hornady stuff is all hype and low quality. Somewhere here I posted a long rant on just how bad the hornady trimmer really is so I will not go into depth but its here if you want to look.I still have that pos trimmer , might sell it to a fool I don't like someday. RCBS or Lee and forget Hornady.
Did you have the New Dimension Dies with zip spindle?
What did you not like about the dies?
I think I will be buying redding or Lee dies from now on due to better reviews but only problem I have had with mine is the seating stem was too shallow for VLD's and I had to drill them out but that only took a minute.

Gary
Old 11-26-2012, 07:09 PM
Silver Member

Yes it was the new dimension die and let me see if I can remember all the ways they sucked. To start with they rusted overnight after I cleaned them. Light sheen on the outside of the body and micrometer stemI bought with them...poor polishing. They grunted and groaned as I sized the brass the first time , slowly got better as the machine marks filled in with brass...poor polishing. The neck expander vibrated off into a case. Had to cut it out of the case....poor polishing. Lubed cases so much I got oil dents. Bullet seater bullet guide keeps sticking. Lube , graphite lube , dry , all stick. Dry and tap with little rod...poor polishing. Bullet seating varied 6 thousanths , see sticking guide.....poor polishing. I didn't know better and thought all dies were like this. Got a new rifle and was tapped out. Bought some lees as it was all I could afford. Wow ! Night and day better ! Thought they were the bomb. Got some rcbs , low end redding and then forster. The lee , rcbs , and redding were all about the same with the lees maybe a little better and much less expensive. Now the forsters are a whole level better. Don't think you can get any better. Run out and bullet seating depth are less than a thousanth and within my ability to measure. The trimmer will always vary the col by the difference in case rim thickness. This means the necks on fired brass will vary also. Neck tensoin is critical and varying neck lenght blows that out the window. I saw an ad / artical where hornady claimed their factory ammo was better than most handloaders could make. Damn right if they use hornady tools to make it. As for customer service... sent them an email askinf for guidence on using their trimmer as I was two to five thousanths variance in case trim lenght. And.....nothing ! Sent it again and ... nothing. And one more thing. I got a second set of hornady dies , this time to load for a friends 308 me. About the same but the seater sleeve doesn't hang up. Threw the 7-08 dies away.
Old 11-26-2012, 07:25 PM
Silver Member

I I had it to do over it would be a forster co-ax , forster seater and full lenght die and lee collet neck die , wilson trimmer. I still use my lee perfect powder measure and trickle the charge to as dead on as the powder will let me.
Old 11-26-2012, 07:53 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveinjax View Post
Yes it was the new dimension die and let me see if I can remember all the ways they sucked. To start with they rusted overnight after I cleaned them. Light sheen on the outside of the body and micrometer stemI bought with them...poor polishing. They grunted and groaned as I sized the brass the first time , slowly got better as the machine marks filled in with brass...poor polishing. The neck expander vibrated off into a case. Had to cut it out of the case....poor polishing. Lubed cases so much I got oil dents. Bullet seater bullet guide keeps sticking. Lube , graphite lube , dry , all stick. Dry and tap with little rod...poor polishing. Bullet seating varied 6 thousanths , see sticking guide.....poor polishing. I didn't know better and thought all dies were like this. Got a new rifle and was tapped out. Bought some lees as it was all I could afford. Wow ! Night and day better ! Thought they were the bomb. Got some rcbs , low end redding and then forster. The lee , rcbs , and redding were all about the same with the lees maybe a little better and much less expensive. Now the forsters are a whole level better. Don't think you can get any better. Run out and bullet seating depth are less than a thousanth and within my ability to measure. The trimmer will always vary the col by the difference in case rim thickness. This means the necks on fired brass will vary also. Neck tensoin is critical and varying neck lenght blows that out the window. I saw an ad / artical where hornady claimed their factory ammo was better than most handloaders could make. Damn right if they use hornady tools to make it. As for customer service... sent them an email askinf for guidence on using their trimmer as I was two to five thousanths variance in case trim lenght. And.....nothing ! Sent it again and ... nothing. And one more thing. I got a second set of hornady dies , this time to load for a friends 308 me. About the same but the seater sleeve doesn't hang up. Threw the 7-08 dies away.
That all sounds very familiar. I did have to spray them off several times with brake cleaner and they still stick occassionally. I paid $30 for the dies and got 100 bullets so they were basically free.
I will be saving for the redding dies from now on.

thanks, gary
Old 11-26-2012, 07:57 PM
Silver Member

Gary , put $60 back in your wallet and get the forster die and seater. They are as good or better.
Old 11-27-2012, 02:27 AM

i am new to this reloading , i have been doing a lot of reading on people opinion on what brand i should go with this is the 1st i have read a review on hornady. sounds like the dies and stuff ant grate but what about the press ?
Old 11-27-2012, 03:02 AM
Silver Member

I have not used a hornady press but I have used a rcbs rockchucker I owned and a lee classic cast a friend had and both were fine. The co-ax I use now is the best I have used or been around. The hornady tools are poorly made so I would expect the press to be also.