Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

reloading press Hornady vs RCBS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2012, 02:07 PM

reloading press Hornady vs RCBS

the Hornady Lock-n-Load Kit or the RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme Master Reloading Kit ? i am new to reloading and i am looking at these two kits. i will manly be loading rifle ammo 7 rm and 06 these two kits are in my price rang i am aware i will need to add a few things to ether kit so what do you guys think Hornady or RCBS ?
Old 11-25-2012, 05:30 PM
Silver Member

Re: reloading press Hornady vs RCBS

this is a ford or chevy type deal. I like the hornady kit, I was able to use everything in it. I don't trust the scale, although it has not been wrong, I just trust the beam scale more. I really like the lock and load feature but you can convert the rcbs to that also. I would think it would come down to cost and if you find a better deal on one or the other. I got a very nice deal on mine from midway also bought three of their die sets which I have been happy with so far, by doing so I got 800 free bullets. The bullets were not the type I would have bought off the shelf but will find some use for them.
So I guess it is a matter of which color you like better Red or Green

gary
Old 11-25-2012, 05:36 PM
Silver Member

No bad choice here.
The Hornady has the LNL bushings which really speed up die insertion and caliber changes
Old 11-25-2012, 10:53 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairtrigger View Post
No bad choice here.
The Hornady has the LNL bushings which really speed up die insertion and caliber changes
I use the hornady and really like the LNL bushings. I bought several extra sets of bushings and once I get a die set up it stays in the bushing so it takes about 2 seconds to change dies, and as soon as you put the new die in it is already adjusted so its ready to go.
Old 11-26-2012, 01:37 AM

8andbait i was looking at midway usa and they got the lock and load set for 259 but it has a rebait for 500 bullets think that will be what pushes me to the hornady i have not read any bad reviews for these 2 kits.
Old 11-26-2012, 11:17 AM

I own the Hornady reloading set. My brother has the RCBS, wich I used before I bought the Hornady. I like them both. I dont like the digital scale with the Hornady kit, so I went on EBAY and bought a RCBS balance beam scale. I had a few issues starting out with my Hornady kit. Hornady's customer service was excellent!
Old 11-26-2012, 05:55 PM
Silver Member

I have not owned the hornady press but have owned their dies and camlock trimmer. I also own or have own all major die makers and hornady dies and tools were the worst by far of all I used. I threw the dies away as I couldn't sell them in good faith ! I started with a rcbs rockchucker and used it for years without complaint. IMO the forster co-ax press is tops and if I didn't want to spend that type of money I would buy ( and do for most rilfes I load for ) Lee dies. The Lee and RCBS are good quality and Lee has a price edge. The hornady stuff is all hype and low quality. Somewhere here I posted a long rant on just how bad the hornady trimmer really is so I will not go into depth but its here if you want to look.I still have that pos trimmer , might sell it to a fool I don't like someday. RCBS or Lee and forget Hornady.