close
Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Berger Bullets

Reply

Reloading for my .240 Weatherby

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Unread 07-05-2011, 02:09 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 21
Reloading for my .240 Weatherby

I have a few questions for you guys. I am a fairly inexperienced reloader. I have a few good loads for .22-250, .30-06 and .223. My load for .257 Weatherby, .243, 325 WSM and .338 need some work.

My question is, where do I start with seating depth. I do not have the tools to measure my distance from the lands. I have been seating at the manual COAL. How likely is this to cause me trouble?

Also, my new custom .240 Weatherby doesnt have the factory free-bore that would be in a Weatherby rifle. Can I still shoot factory ammo in this gun?

When searching through reloading manuals and picking a bullet - powder combination, what do you look for to start? I have not considered case density previously, but the horrible .243 loads I did with IMR 4064 are like only 60%. Does this cause me some issues?
Reply With Quote
  •   #2  
    Unread 07-05-2011, 03:29 PM
    Platinum Member
     
    Join Date: Jun 2010
    Location: greenwood, IN
    Posts: 4,026
    Re: Reloading for my .240 Weatherby

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Oakster View Post
    I have a few questions for you guys. I am a fairly inexperienced reloader. I have a few good loads for .22-250, .30-06 and .223. My load for .257 Weatherby, .243, 325 WSM and .338 need some work.

    My question is, where do I start with seating depth. I do not have the tools to measure my distance from the lands. I have been seating at the manual COAL. How likely is this to cause me trouble?

    Also, my new custom .240 Weatherby doesnt have the factory free-bore that would be in a Weatherby rifle. Can I still shoot factory ammo in this gun?

    When searching through reloading manuals and picking a bullet - powder combination, what do you look for to start? I have not considered case density previously, but the horrible .243 loads I did with IMR 4064 are like only 60%. Does this cause me some issues?
    I would not shoot the factory stuff in a custom chamber with no free bore. What I would do is to get my hands on one of the gauges to check the overall length measured off the ogive, and then back off about .025" for starters.
    gary
    Reply With Quote

      #3  
    Unread 07-05-2011, 07:33 PM
    Official LRH Sponsor
     
    Join Date: Jul 2006
    Location: Harrisburg, PA
    Posts: 2,684
    Re: Reloading for my .240 Weatherby

    Give us a little more information on the rifle. What twist barrel, and what are you going to use it for.
    Then we'll be able to give you some recommendations. Both BuffaloBob and I have been loading for the .240 Wby for years.
    Reply With Quote
      #4  
    Unread 07-05-2011, 10:06 PM
    Bronze Member
     
    Join Date: Dec 2006
    Posts: 47
    Re: Reloading for my .240 Weatherby

    The factory .240 is not free bored but a long throat .

    This is from NRA Reloading book .



    Glenn
    Reply With Quote
      #5  
    Unread 07-05-2011, 11:30 PM
    Junior Member
     
    Join Date: Nov 2008
    Location: Wyoming
    Posts: 21
    Re: Reloading for my .240 Weatherby

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joel Russo View Post
    Give us a little more information on the rifle. What twist barrel, and what are you going to use it for.
    Then we'll be able to give you some recommendations. Both BuffaloBob and I have been loading for the .240 Wby for years.

    I have a 27" 1 in 8 twist barrel on the rifle. I want to use it in coyote stands as well as for Antelope and Mule Deer in these wide open Wyoming prairies.
    Reply With Quote
      #6  
    Unread 07-06-2011, 06:14 AM
    Official LRH Sponsor
     
    Join Date: Jul 2006
    Location: Harrisburg, PA
    Posts: 2,684
    Re: Reloading for my .240 Weatherby

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Oakster View Post
    I have a 27" 1 in 8 twist barrel on the rifle. I want to use it in coyote stands as well as for Antelope and Mule Deer in these wide open Wyoming prairies.
    Any of the 105-107 bullets will work with that twist barrel. RL-22 and the 105 Berger/A-Max behind 48.3 gr of 22 has been bad medicine for anything way out yonder for me. I have a 28" 9 twist barrel that pushes them to 3380 fps.
    You may not match my velocity with the sharper twist barrel, but don't sweat it.
    I know BB uses the 115 DTAC bullets for Antelope with excellent results.
    PM me if you want or need additional information.
    Reply With Quote
      #7  
    Unread 07-06-2011, 10:40 PM
    Junior Member
     
    Join Date: Nov 2008
    Location: Wyoming
    Posts: 21
    Re: Reloading for my .240 Weatherby

    Thank you sir.
    Reply With Quote
    Reply

    Bookmarks

    Thread Tools
    Display Modes


    Similar Threads for: Reloading for my .240 Weatherby
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Reloading the 300 weatherby magnum sport22 Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics 6 03-30-2013 08:48 AM
    FS 257 Weatherby Mag with Reloading Components evilml Guns For Sale 4 07-29-2010 07:42 PM
    338-378 weatherby reloading? enigma Reloading 0 08-26-2007 03:38 PM
    Weatherby 30-06 Reloading Daddy Justin Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics 1 12-21-2004 08:36 PM
    WANTED: 6.5-300 Weatherby reloading dies! GEG Guns For Sale 2 02-10-2003 12:30 AM


    All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:46 PM.


    Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
    All content ©2010-2015 Long Range Hunting, LLC