Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Berger Bullets

Reloading methods???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-10-2009, 07:27 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Reloading methods???

A lot of good info so far. I think ladder testing may be more useful at longer ranges. I agree with the suggestion to check your groups at 200 yds or even 300 yds becuase this will alow your bullets to "settle down" (go to sleep) if they have any pitch and yaw going on.

Once I think that I have a good load from verifying with several groups 200-300 yds, I will shoot groups, one shot per, on different days at the same target, to see what my cold bore accuracy is. It would also be a good idea to record temps and velocities to see if you have any temp issues with your powder.

Keep us posted on your progress,

-MR

Unread 07-12-2009, 01:11 AM
Bronze Member

I plan to progress into cold bore testing further down this road. As for shooting at further distances, my range is only 200 yards and today I was debating between 100 and 200 and decided on 100 b/c most of my shots will be in this range, while the occasional food plot shot will be further.

Today I shot 30 rds total (10 foulers and 20 test rds) w/ seating depths @ .010, .050, .090 and .130 off the lands. I started w/ clean bore, shot 2 foulers then 4 rounds, one at ea. depth & ea. corresponding target. After the 6 round I'd clean and repeat for a total of 5 strings, (5 shots at 4 depths & 4 targets).

I took be 3 hours to shoot 30 rds total. Times for 6 shot strings=avg 35 min:35,45,43,21,30. The last two were a little rushed from closing time.

I also rotated the depth I started the string on, having only .010" starting off twice, to spread bore conditions.

Something happened to cause the last two strings to all shoot low and right as seen on target 7 (.090")

Conditions: 92 deg F, 5-7 mph

Below is the 4 targets: 5= .010", 6= .050", 7= .090", 8= .130".

56gr H4831SC, 150gr VLD, WIN case, BR2 primers

WHICH TARGET(seating depth) WOULD YOU CHOOSE TO CONTINUE LOAD DEVELOPMENT ONTO DIFF POWDER CHARGES???

I'm leaning towards #7, b/c the first three shots were .456 and the other two if POI were the same aren't bad. Like I say the last two shots on all 4 targets were low and right. I always loctite and torque every screw, all checked out tight after the range closed today? Wind or scope moved?

What's the deal with #8, horz is exactly half of the other 3, but width is 146% of the avg of the other 3. And all 5 shots of each group were spread out evenly over 3 hours, so I can't see wind affecting this group that much more? Just trying to interpret all the data I can.

Please excuse the lengthy post just don't want to leave anything out

Last edited by SQ Stalker; 07-12-2009 at 01:16 AM.
Unread 07-12-2009, 10:41 AM
Platinum Member

SQ,

I'm not sure you can make much of a detrermination with those groups. What's the spread on them? And how are you determining your POA? Those are kind of big bullseyes. I make targets on my computer with verticle and horizontal lines every 1" and I make one horizontal and verticle line heavier (darker) than the others and use the interscetion for my bullseye. That way I have a precise aim point and it's easy to tell from the bench how large my groups are. I also level the the target on the target board so my verticle lines are exactley plumb and horizontal line are level. It makes it easy to line my reticles on them and take out any cant in my rifle.

92 degrees is real warm to be shooting in but I guess in GA that's the way it is in the summer. I know a guy in Mississippi who doesn't shoot if the temps are over 70.
Unread 07-12-2009, 11:56 PM
Bronze Member

Thx for the suggestion on the targets they work pretty good for the thick reticle on my Monarch 6-24X BDC. Which program do you use to make the targets, it sounds like a good idea?

The groups are as follows, 5=1.6; 6=1.3; 7=1.7; 8=1.8. Combined w/ the two 3 shot groups at ea setting earlier in the week, the avg ctc groups are; .010=1.19; .050=1.06, .090=1.5, .130=1.96. The avg dist to center of the 3 groups: .010=.55; .050=.41, .090=.50, .130=.61.

I think having the best CTC, ATC, and having the best three shot goup of .465 I'm going to go on to different powder charges with .050" seating depth. The first three are pretty close.

After I go + or - .5gr on powder and find the best high velocity node, I think I'll go back and change seating depth + or - .010", then + or - .005". Then at .050" I might try the medium loads for RL 19 & IMR 4350 and see if they are much better. Also from this point on I'll be using fire formed brass.

For hunting reliability is it a good rule of thumb to use once fired brass?? That way I can just neck size and not have to worry about brass life and the shoulder shouldn't be an issue chambering.

Any additional info or recommendations are more than welcome

Thanks

Adam
Unread 07-13-2009, 01:07 AM
Platinum Member

Adam, i just do it with the draw function in microsoft word. Real simple. You can make other shapes too, like circles. I also put a 1" cirlce as my bullseye aroung the intersection of the heavy verticle and horizontal lines. You can also make two or more bullseyes on one sheet of 8x11 paper.

I think you may have a tough time getting good consistant groups shooting in the heat. I would suggest shooting at the coolest times possible.

On resizing brass... you can neck size only for a few firings, but eventually you will have to full length size or partial full length size or body size your brass so it fits your chamber. Multiple firings will stretch it to the point where it will not fit if you only neck size. Most brass wears out at the neck or primer pockets first. Necks experience the most stress from resizing and pocket primers get stretched out if shooting high pressure loads. The best way to increase neck life is to use bushing dies.

Good shooting,

-Mark
Unread 07-13-2009, 02:52 AM
Bronze Member

Sounds good, I'll make some targets like that. Also for dies I'm using RCBS GOLD MEDAL dies.

From what I read on here whenever the brass starts to get hard to chamber I can take the bushing out of my bushing FL sizer die, and just insert the case enough to try an back the shoulder up about .0015"? I'll use a sharpie or flame sout on the case when I get there and see how it works.

Also w/o a head space gauge, whats the best way to measure shoulder height? I guess I could just go slow and just do it until it'll chamber easily.

I'm starting to find I'm becoming a night owl in order to work on my loads w/o the ol' lady on my back.

Right now I'm loading 5 rounds w/ 54 gr of RL 19 at .050" off the lands to try to set up a good comparison w/ the H4831SC.

In addition to 2 rounds at each increasing powder charge (.5gr) w/ RL 19 and H4831 to find where the max is with some of my fire formed cases.

This stuff really is addicting

Thanks again for the help!

P.S. What's the reason for possible less accurate loads in hot weather? I make sure to keep my loads in the shade while shooting. It's hard to shoot below 85 deg, & nearly impossible to shoot below 80 deg in the summer:(

Last edited by SQ Stalker; 07-13-2009 at 02:54 AM. Reason: P.S.
Unread 07-13-2009, 09:57 AM
Platinum Member

Those targets are too coarse. You need a single point of aim otherwise there is no way to gather data about the loads. Get a target with 5 diamonds and start over.

92 is too hot to be shooting test loads for fall/winter hunting, unless you intend to hunt in summer (I hunted pigs last weekend, morning/evening temps were still cooler).

Your reloading methods sound fine but its not going to tell you anything if you don't make the range time count.