Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Reloading Materials Suggestions list

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2013, 07:32 PM
Silver Member

Reloading Materials Suggestions list

Ok Guys I need your expert help.
I am sick and tired of paying $50+ for box of bullets...

So I bought the RCBS master reload kit, got some Lee Dies coming and some federal unprimed brass....

What else would you guys suggest for me to purchase to start reloading properly?
Tools, scales, anything...

Also any suggestions for bullets, powder, primers for 7mm would help as well...

thanks
Mighty Man
Old 02-24-2013, 08:09 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Reloading Materials Suggestions list

I quit buying factory loads a long time ago simply because if you want accurate consistent performance you have to handload.

Savings is relative however. Components are expensive in themselves. I handload for accuracy and performance only.

Every chamber is different, factory loads are generic.
Old 02-24-2013, 08:37 PM
Gold Member

Depends on your goals hunting, shooting paper or steel, distance you want to shoot, I can give you info on my 7mm load but it is just that, what I use dosen't mean it's the be all end all. Hornady brass, cci250 primers, H1000 powder 68.5grs. 168 berger vld's this is my hunting load, but I also shoot paper and steel out to 1000yds with this load. Like I said this is what I shoot it may not be for you.

Old 02-24-2013, 09:04 PM
Silver Member

Thanks, I appreciate it and understand about different loads for varied shooting.
Nice to have what works for you as well.

Any special equipment or tools I need that will make it a little easier and more accurate...I am gathering materials now, and will order any key parts/tools that will help out of the gate?

thanks
MM
Old 02-25-2013, 04:04 PM
Silver Member

A head space gauge, an OAL gauge and a bullet comparator set and maybe a digital scale that will read grains to a 10th (to compare your weights against your beam scale against). These little extras will get you started. Then the addiction will feed what other tools you will want.
Good luck and have fun.
Old 02-25-2013, 04:13 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyman View Post
Ok Guys I need your expert help.
I am sick and tired of paying $50+ for box of bullets...

So I bought the RCBS master reload kit, got some Lee Dies coming and some federal unprimed brass....

What else would you guys suggest for me to purchase to start reloading properly?
Tools, scales, anything...

Also any suggestions for bullets, powder, primers for 7mm would help as well...

thanks
Mighty Man
I love my RCBS ChargeMaster 1500 auto-despinsing scale. I also prefer the Nosler Accubonds for hunting bullets. Primers, I use Federal Gold Medal Match primers, and never had 1 single issue or failure.

For 7mm RemMag, I shoot the 160gr Nosler AccuBonds, with Federal brass for my shooting ammo, or Winchester Nickle-Plated brass (for my hunting loads). Federal 215 or 215M (match) primers, and Alliant Reloder 19 powder. As for load density and powder amount, I'd consult the Nosler 7 reloading manual.

Hope this helps.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 02-25-2013, 04:20 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Thanks, I appreciate it and understand about different loads for varied shooting.
Nice to have what works for you as well.
Every load, even if it works perfect in my gun, might be different in your's. 2 identical guns, made at the same time, by the same gunsmith, will prefer 2 different loads.

So, what works for someone else, might not always work for you.

Quote:
Any special equipment or tools I need that will make it a little easier and more accurate...I am gathering materials now, and will order any key parts/tools that will help out of the gate?

thanks
MM
Make sure you get a RCBS Collet Puller and a .284 (7mm) collet, for when you accidentally seat a bullet too deep, you can pop it right back in the press, screw in the puller, and pull the bullet out a little bit, to re-seat it, so you don't have to waste a complete round.

This little tool will save you ALOT of bullets, powder, primers, and headaches... Trust me.

RCBS Collet Bullet Puller

RCBS Collet Bullet Puller Collet 28 Cal 7mm (284 Diameter)

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.