Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Reloading Manuals - Pros and Cons

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2012, 06:25 PM

Re: Reloading Manuals - Pros and Cons

It's my understanding they compile it from the actual loads provided by the powder companies. The loads for 357 max, 44 mag, and 223 are straight from Lapua vitavhouri's data as are Hornady,s also.

and NOHING that has to be loaded with a tiny "coke spoon" is going to work for me.

Sherlock Holmes

If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.
Old 11-22-2012, 09:11 PM
Bronze Member

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone. I'm thankful to live in a time and country where we can pool experience, knowledge, and even opinions. I have very much enjoyed reading the discussion.

Dan, out of idle curiosity, what did brass used to cost when you felt like you could afford to burn through them quickly?
Old 11-22-2012, 10:51 PM
Bronze Member

I pretty much agree with all that has been said except that I have never been a patient at an asylum.

Basically it comes down to every gun being different; the books being a guide and data on the internet suspect. What about this tool that lets mere mortals measure the actual pressure generated in your barrel/chamber RSI - PressureTrace

I don't own one, but I might if I was dedicated to getting the most power out of a given rifle. The conversation about "area under the curve" is really interesting.
Old 11-24-2012, 10:08 AM
Bronze Member

Forward we go...

I only have Noslers 6th manual, but your observation is very interesting. Evidently you can't completely trust the books either. For what it is worth, I am loading a .308 right now and the Nosler manual lists a higher max load for Varget than the Hodgen website (48.5gr for Nosler and 47.0 on the Hodgen site). Both for a 150g bullet.
Old 11-24-2012, 10:52 AM
Gold Member

Hodgdon's numbers are more likely based on case fill and OAL, so as not to get the charge too compressed.

Nosler does show some pretty generous Varget numbers. I've shot 47.8 grains of Varget in Winchester brass with 155's, and it's an extremely accurate load, but I don't seat the bullets terribly far into the case.

Were Nosler to have really shot that .308 Varget data in their own brass (as the number 6 and presumably number 7 manual says) they'd have had some serious blown primer issues going on...
:o

Dan
Old 11-24-2012, 12:06 PM
Platinum Member

Loading manuals to me are a reference point, and just one of many. currently I have 2 Hornady, 2 Nosler a sierra, Berger. I extensively use the intewebs, manufactures websites and sites such as Reloaders nest. Why? Think of it this way. If you have 1 manual you have exactly 1 reference point that may or may not be valid for you immediate needs, if you have many reference points then you ha a library with much information allowing you to make a much more informed decision as to whether or not you should move forward with a load, try it at all, what to expect what not to expect. Knowledge is power and the base from which safety, quality is derived.
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe
Old 11-24-2012, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshuak12 View Post
Happy Thanksgiving, everyone. I'm thankful to live in a time and country where we can pool experience, knowledge, and even opinions. I have very much enjoyed reading the discussion.

Dan, out of idle curiosity, what did brass used to cost when you felt like you could afford to burn through them quickly?
i don't know about dan but i started with a 22-250 for coyotes and i bought loaded ammo that i shot at coyotes for 2.50 a box[win.&rem.both]when i got a couple hundred WW i started reloading.so i never bought in bulk for a while when i could shoot them so cheap and the coyotes paid for all my stuff including .22 cents for gas.that was after i got out fo the army in the late 60's.