Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Reloading Manuals - Pros and Cons

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2012, 02:28 PM
Bronze Member

Reloading Manuals - Pros and Cons

Having recently read through a reloading manual for the first time, and having enjoyed it more than I expected, I'm curious as to what some pros and cons are for the various manuals on the market. I'd like to build a good reloading library, but would also like to be well informed before I buy my next manual. Thanks in advance.
Old 11-20-2012, 06:18 PM
Silver Member

Re: Reloading Manuals - Pros and Cons

a single manual can get you into a lot of trouble. Get at least 1 more or at the least conferm your load on line with a differant publisher or powder/bullet manufacturer before you load. All it takes is 1 little misprint to ruin your day.
Old 11-20-2012, 06:36 PM
Platinum Member

I would first recommend 'how to reload' books.
Merely looking up loads doesn't get you anything but trouble.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:38 PM
Platinum Member

I've been reloading since '65 and have well over two dozen manuals and twice or more that many pamplets. I've never had a blooper, skipped or double charge, never blew a primer, never a KABOOM! For the first five years I had a single manual (Lyman #43) and never felt I was handicapped in any way. I only got my second manual because of new powders that had been introduced.

Consider any manual as infallible and you're going to be in trouble. Follow the ONE rule of starting low for the powder and bullet weight you're using and slowly work up to book max unless you experience pressure signs early and back off if you do. Do that properly and it won't make any difference what manual, specific bullet, OAL, case, powder lot, primer, etc you use.

The basic instructions most manals have in the front are all good, none of them have anything important that the others don't include. Meaning if you can read and follow directions extra manuals won't add much safety and if you don't read and follow instructions a dozen manuals won't make you any safer.
Old 11-20-2012, 09:01 PM
Platinum Member

I have 2 Speer manuals, 3 Noslers, and one Sierra, and one Swift. No Hornady, Barnes, Berger. But I used the internet a lot for the powder company's load data as well. I haven't bought a load manual in many many years.
Old 11-21-2012, 08:01 AM
Bronze Member

Thanks for the feedback. Safety, of course, is top priority and I feel that, as a rookie handloader, establishing consistent procedures and patterns in loading rounds is vital and a manual won't do that for me. I'm specifically curious about the style and layout of the different books available. Having glanced through a few it seems some are extremely data oriented while others have a lot of anecdotal material plus data tables. What are the styles of the books you're familiar with and do you have a preference. I appreciate what was said above about not relying on any one manual exclusively - makes a lot of sense. I guess this is more of a taste question.
Old 11-21-2012, 08:21 AM
Bronze Member

I just wish that these manuals would give info on different barrel lengths. A lot of loads wont give near the velocities stated in shorter barrels