Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Which reloading manual?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2009, 04:37 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Which reloading manual?

I have Hornady, Sierra, Lyman, Nosler, and a book called "Metallic Cartridge Reloading" by M.L. McPherson. I use them all, of all the introductory sections that should be a must read by all beginners, the book by M.L. McPherson is the most complete. It's first 80 pages are a good introduction to reloading. Here is the table of contents

Introduction 6
1) Case Inspection 8
2) Case Preparation 11
3) Case Sorting 18
4) Case maintenance 22
5) Boxer Primers 28
6) Smokeless Powders 33
7) Bullet Types and Performance 50
8) Seating bullets 60
9) Internal Ballistics 66
10) External Ballistics 72
11) Bullet Making 75
12) Reloading presses 80

The book is 352 pages and is filled with reloading data after the introdution.
The reloading data is a compilation of the different powder companies.
I looked it up on Amazon and they now want nearly $100 for the book! I paid $21 several years ago.

Even though I have several reloading manuals, I use the internet's load data (powder manufacturers) and my version of Quickload as my main source of loads.

I've seen older reloading manuals for cheap at used book stores, since the processes have not changed and the powder/bullet manufacturers have so much online data, I'd recommend looking at used book stores and reading the intro's to reloading from as many books as possible.

AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives

Last edited by AJ Peacock; 08-20-2009 at 05:01 PM. Reason: forgot about my Nosler book
Old 08-20-2009, 04:48 PM
Bronze Member

+1 AJ. Even if I have many manuals, some 40 years old, I use internet data and particularly Quickload almost exclusively.
Old 08-20-2009, 08:45 PM
Platinum Member

Who has the "best" manual (press, dies, 'scope, rifle, handgun, brass, primer, etc, etc.) is a recurring question. None of those questions have any better anwers than is it better to have a car or pickup, a boat or camper, a Ford or Chevy. Meaning, personal tastes aside, they are all good. Each one has streigths and weaknesses but all give good value for the price.

In over 40 years of reloading I've collected a 3 foot shelf full of loading manuals from every source, and another shelf full of books about reloading. All of them are good but none covers it all so I get something out of each. I'm not totally commited to any one of them and I re-read the best - to me - from time to time (working thought PO Ackley's Handbooks again now). So, get what ever, it will do you good. You WILL get others later anyway, so no matter what you get first won't be a mistake.

That said, my suggestion to any newbie is get the Lyman Reloading Handbook first, if that's practical. It has perhaps the best, I mean the most well written and clearly illustrated beginners information AND a lot of extra advanced stuff that's really good for old hands too. Lyman's loading data is extensive, includes pressures, a few tips on each cartridge and suggests potential best accuracy loads. They cover a wide range of bullets and powders without limiting themselves to selling anyones components. What's not to love?

Perhaps the second most comprehensive is a Hogedon or Lee.

Lee's book is often disparaged because it's a compliation of data from component makers. I say, so what, if you don't have all those manufacoror's pamphlets it sure provides a lot of info in one place and the price is, as usual with Lee, modest so you get more than you pay for.

There is no justification - other than personal interest and desire - to purchasing a maual from a specific bullet maker in an effort to get "special" info. Reloading data for any bullet diameter and weight (for very near weights, such as 160 vs. 163 gr .30 cal, or 52 vs 53 gr .22 cal. bullets, just consider them the same) can all be considered as valid generic starting and max levels. The ONE rule of "start low and only work up if you see no over-pressure signs" takes care of the largely trivial variations in bullets, powder lots, cases, primers, etc.

Last edited by boomtube; 08-21-2009 at 07:17 AM.
Old 08-20-2009, 09:00 PM

Alot of great info guys! I will be trying to find the Lyman book. It sems everyone agrees it has a ton of great infor for a beginner.
Old 08-20-2009, 10:18 PM
Silver Member

I saw that, but they're not my brand.

Chris That does not mater 180gr nosler and a 180gr smk will take the same amount of powder. Those books are just to get you close and for pressure every gun will shoot a little different.
Old 10-23-2011, 06:36 AM

Location: In the heart of the Giant Redwoods, Gods country-Northern California the real NORCAL not san fran

If you intend to use any specialized bullets ie: gilding metal, solids, moly coated etc. I highly recommend you use that bullet manufacturers book. Polymer tips, soft point, or fmj should not matter.