Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

View Poll Results: What reloading manual do you use?
Hornady 7th Edition Reloading Manual 25 32.89%
Speer Reloading Manual No. 14 15 19.74%
Barnes Reloading Manual, No. 4 7 9.21%
Lyman 49th Edition Reloading Handbook 16 21.05%
Other - Write in 45 59.21%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Which Reloading Manual?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2009, 11:15 AM
Silver Member

Re: Which Reloading Manual?

I agree with Boomtube. My library has 5 different Manuals. When I work up a new powder/bullet/primer , I will get a consensus of that powder . Take an average and work with min and max averages. If one seems out of line, I scratch it off for that load.
Old 01-28-2009, 01:30 PM
Platinum Member

QuickLoad
Never needed anything else
Old 09-06-2011, 07:12 PM
Bronze Member

Depends a lot on the powder I will be using... First choice is the data from the powder manufacturer....
Old 09-24-2011, 01:43 PM
Silver Member

All of the Powder and Primer Companies are in bed with the different Bullet manufacturers. That being said its hard to find the powder you want in just one book. Because of this i own several editions of most of the books. I also have PDF's i downloaded from the powder mfg and some of the bullet mfg have them as well. When i develop a load i open every book i have to the caliber i want, and print out all of the datasheets i have on the computer, then cross reference them all. In my opinion you really need 2 or 3 books with the powder and bullet you are using. Its really nice if you can get the books for the exact componets you will be using. For example if you are using a sierra bullet with Hodgen powder consult the Sierra book and the Hodgon book first.

With that being said i take everything with a grain of salt. I always work up my loads, and try to avoid going above the lowest posted maximum charge, and have yet to see a reason for going above the highest maximum charge.
Old 10-03-2011, 02:32 PM
Silver Member

I own over 50 reloading manuals, and don't use any of them.
I use Quickload.

I can tell you the worst.... "Speer 12" is the skunk of reloading manuals.

If we were at war, our enemies might drop copies of that manual on us.

Last edited by Clark; 10-03-2011 at 02:39 PM.
Old 10-03-2011, 05:35 PM
Platinum Member

A reloading manual would just seem like a joke after using and calibrating QuickLoad.

Powder mfgs, bullet mfgs, reloading equipment suppliers, or your range buddy, don't know diddly about your barrel, chamber, component lots, etc. All of this adds up to taking "everything with a grain of salt".
A QuickLoad file begins just as dumb as dirt, but you can adjust it for all that is impossible to predict.
Once you've made the adjustments, and validated results across a chronograph & with pressure signs where you expect, you can the run 'what-ifs' to immediately see all possibles -with fairly reliable predictions.
If I haven't tested a powder that I want to use yet, I prevalidate QL predictions with loads posted at Reloader's Nest.

Then at the range I watch my velocities as I go up in charges, based on QL's incremental workup, and I expect that they'll be right, or needing tweaked. But never have I been completely surprised by a predicted load.

It's a safe, sound approach.
Old 10-05-2011, 04:04 AM

i use the reloading guide from the powder i use, Vit N150 i use VIT reloading guide,the powder guides tend to be more accurate that the other reloading manuals where as the manuals are 2-5 grains lower