Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Reloading "Kits" - need advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2012, 05:57 PM

Reloading "Kits" - need advice

Been shooting alot of .308 and it's getting very expensive. Need to start reloading. Looking at several reloading kits available on Midway and Brownell's but would appreciate some input on them.

The Lee Anniversary kit seems the best value but not sure if it's a POS. The Hornady, Dillon and RC kits are at least twice as much or more.

On a very tight budget therefore willing to make due with a lower priced system but don't want to have anything break or give me trouble because I'm very new to reloading, so need the ammo to roll-up correctly sans equipment failure.

Another concern - do these kits really include everything needed to reload (obviously aside from dies and bullets, supplies etc)? Right now just interested in reloading 308 and have been saving all .308 brass.

Thanks very much for any advice!!
Old 06-27-2012, 06:40 PM
Gold Member

Re: Reloading "Kits" - need advice

That Lee kit has gotten a lot of good reviews on MidwayUSA for what it's worth. It does not include everything you need unless you're lucky. Usually when I resize factory shells they become too long and need to be trimmed; the Lee kit does not include a trimmer, but I don't think any of the kits include trimmers from other manufacturers either.

If you are trying to get into the hobby as cheap as possible, I'd look on ebay for good deals on used equipment. I have never personally used Lee presses, I've handled them and didn't love how they felt, but most guys that use them swear that everybody else pays too much money for other brands.
Old 06-27-2012, 07:12 PM
Gold Member

I have the Rockchucker Supreme Master kit. I had to buy my Dies and a shell holder in addition to the kit, but that was it. For the first 2 reloads, it was all good, since then, I have bought a Forster trimmer because of case stretch. I am reloading .308, like you and am fairly new to it. I think the RCBS kit is a great starting kit
Old 06-27-2012, 07:37 PM
Silver Member

I got the hornady kit for the quick change for the dies. Truthfully it's well bit but the rest of the kit I thought was junk and have upgraded most of it. Also the quick changenisngetting annoying they are like 15 bucks for a pack of 3 and I don't think it's all that faster or better. If incouldndo it again I'd buy the RCBS supreme.
Old 06-27-2012, 08:10 PM
Silver Member

All of the kits have strong points. If your pocket is as deep as mine the lee will do you. Upgrade as needed. I do use some lee dies and I have gotten great ammo for hunting out of them. Do get the RCBS or Hornady case prep center. Either one will do. They both take time and finger pain out of the equation. My 7 mm rem mag shoots 1/2 groups at 100 and just under 1" at 200 yds.
using Lee. And it is a Ruger m77 MKLII with a floated tube. Enjoy and have fun learning. Reloading is an addiction.
Old 06-27-2012, 10:24 PM
Platinum Member

I started out with the Lee anniversary kit a long time ago. I loaded a helluva lot of ammo on it , still have an use some of it, that aluminum press still works ok but after over 15yrs it developed a little bit of flex so it got retired for the Lee cast classic. If your on a tight budget then by all means get it and don't look back, you can always upgrade this or that later.
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe
Old 06-28-2012, 04:40 AM

Yep, I'm definitely with ya'll... living on the Lee Budget too.

The "ya get whatch'ya pay for" law applies to so much in the shooting world, wanted to make sure LEE wasn't just a disposable product given the big price difference.

Dang, forgot about a case trimmer, thanks emn83. As suggested I'll search for some used RCBS kit on ebay too, they do look nice and might actually be affordable that way.

Well, thanks and keep the advice coming