Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

reloading issues

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2013, 01:58 PM

Re: reloading issues

i have had nothing but issues with hornady brass. and i have tried HSM brass and they have not gave me any problems. i have lapua brass in the mail so once i get them i will be able to put them to the test. the nosler brass shot and extracted really well the first time i loaded them but on my second load they have not been extracting the way they are supposed to. my only question i have is with changing to a different brass will that solve the slight cratering issue i have been noticing in the primers?

Old 05-14-2013, 10:03 PM
Silver Member

I am not an expert at all. Just read the other day on another forum about carbon donuts that can cause pressure spikes from loads that formerly were safe. The primer cratering could be a sign of pressure.... Worth looking at. Bruce
Old 05-15-2013, 12:25 AM
Platinum Member

When you resize a Lapua case, you have to be sure the die gets down on the case as far as possible. To that end, I never NS a Lapua case, always FL and you need to pay close attention to the neck for cracking, a sure sign of workhardened brass.

I wasn't big into annealing until I bought some 3 series rifles. Now my annealer gets used a lot, on every caliber.

The annealing machine and the Hawkeye bore scope have to be the best 2 investments I've made in a long time.

Anytime I look at a used rifle or handgun, first thing I do is have a look-see in the barrel.