Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Reloading Investment

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2013, 05:53 PM

Re: Reloading Investment

Thank you for sharing that with me.

Jack

Old 11-16-2013, 12:31 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacktrude View Post
Mainly looking to reload for 1000 yards or better. And over the counter for this type ammo is large so I am also looking to save money over the long term. Not looking for large volumes just percision and more kick.
good luck in the saving money dept. I just retired and hope to start reloading soon myself. As to date I bought a rcbs 6 hole turret press kit 450.00, rcbs dies for .223, 308, 38sp, 9mm and redding die for 380 auto ( everything was backorded so I bought redding, total cost of dies approx 225.00 shell holders 20.00, hornaday tumbler and sonic cleaner 130.00, hornaday case trimmer 70.00 and by the way the rcbs shell holders do not fit the hornaday case trimmer so I had to buy hornaday shell holders, another 25.00 (everyone can start laughing if you have not already) do not forget the cost of the pilots for the case trimmer, I forgot the cost of those. I also bought an extra 6 hole turret head (50.00) so I can set my dies up and not have to re-adjust all the time, I do not recall the price for the several thousand bullets, 16lbs of powder, 15000 primers , small pistol, small rifle, large rifle, and a few misc. items. I had no idea when I started this venture but I sure am enjoying it. Have fun
Old 11-16-2013, 12:59 AM
Silver Member

Not going to save money but you will produce a superior product. I've got about 6k into my reloading and love everything about it.
Old 11-16-2013, 01:36 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesomeshootin View Post
Not going to save money but you will produce a superior product. I've got about 6k into my reloading and love everything about it.
On the lighter side:(I see I have a long ways to go). yes a much better product not to mention the possibility of improvement on the range and or hunt.
Old 11-16-2013, 09:58 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomtube View Post
How much would it cost to buy a new car so you could drive from Santa Monica to Boston? Answer: Most anything would get that accomplished and would get you there just as well if you drove the same. Granted, how easy the ride may be would vary a bit but the goal itself would be accomplished just as well with most anything available. The most basic of reloading gear - which is quite good - will make good ammo. How well you may be able to hit with it at 1K yards is another question and that matters too.

It will take you quite awhile to learn to reload as well as normal dies, presses and components allow and no money thrown at costly purchases is going to produce instant skill and understanding for the difficult task you're aiming at. Get basic stuff and learn to use it; by the time you learn how to use standard gear as well as it can be used you'll have enough personal experience to make your own choices without asking such questions on the web. Three-four hundred bucks should get you off to a good start, add more stuff when you need it.

What you don't need ... well, you don't need a lot of what you may be told. You won't need a digital scale or a digital powder dumpster to dispense powder with precision. You don't need steel pins and a wet tumbler to keep your cases in good shape. You don't need case neck turners or high dollar case trimmers or primer pocket uniformers to start with. You'll never need expensive professional machinist grade micrometers and calipers. You sure won't need costly "competition" dies and shell holders or extra bullet crimpers or high cost priming tools to start. Nor do you need costly cases; Remington/Winchester bulk brass is better than you'll be for a long while and you'll have to get way up the learning curve before any of that matters; learn on the less costly cases before you even think of buying the imported stuff.
Great info! In highschool I bought the RCNS Rockchucker kit. 20+ years later I still use every single part of it and it has served me well except for the old school tube feed primer system. I think the newer kits include the hand priming tool which I also use. One thing you will want is a bullet puller! For dies I've always done fine with RCBS but recently loading ETIPS in my .308 about 10% of my Win cases did not have enough tension. The only fix I've found was the Hornady match dies and a smaller bushing to increase neck tension. That is the one die I would spend more money on. The micrometer bullet seating dies would be nice too but I've never had one and do fine.

Now the reality. Good luck finding components particularly for those two cartridges. They have to be the two most popular cartridges in the US right now.

Forget the cost savings. As has been said it takes a lot of time to reload. If you spend a ton of money on progressives and digital powder dispensers you can save some time at the expense of a lot of money that could have been spent on components and shooting! For me getting time to go to the range is much harder than time to reload. I can reload in the dead of night. It's relaxing and you get to be involved with your shooting hobby at times you otherwise couldn't. Finally you will be capable if building the perfect load for your rifle and the particular task you are asking it to do.
Old 11-16-2013, 10:00 AM
Gold Member

Thank you for that. Puts it in perspective.
Old 11-16-2013, 05:36 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davkrat View Post
Great info! In highschool I bought the RCNS Rockchucker kit. 20+ years later I still use every single part of it and it has served me well except for the old school tube feed primer system. I think the newer kits include the hand priming tool which I also use. One thing you will want is a bullet puller! For dies I've always done fine with RCBS but recently loading ETIPS in my .308 about 10% of my Win cases did not have enough tension. The only fix I've found was the Hornady match dies and a smaller bushing to increase neck tension. That is the one die I would spend more money on. The micrometer bullet seating dies would be nice too but I've never had one and do fine.

Now the reality. Good luck finding components particularly for those two cartridges. They have to be the two most popular cartridges in the US right now.

Forget the cost savings. As has been said it takes a lot of time to reload. If you spend a ton of money on progressives and digital powder dispensers you can save some time at the expense of a lot of money that could have been spent on components and shooting! For me getting time to go to the range is much harder than time to reload. I can reload in the dead of night. It's relaxing and you get to be involved with your shooting hobby at times you otherwise couldn't. Finally you will be capable if building the perfect load for your rifle and the particular task you are asking it to do.
thanks for helping me spend more money. I will order thte bullet puller asap. I recommend any one starting out to do thier homework. Hornady has a micrometer
that fits thier dies, which woud be really nice.