Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Reloading Investment

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2013, 08:27 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Reloading Investment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacktrude View Post
Thanks for the information. I have bought almost everything I think I will need. The Hornady Classic came with a electronic scale. It should be ok for weighing everything or should I get something else?

Thanks Jack
My personal opinion is that two scales are a safety necessity. I have the same crappy Hornady scale you have, and it is typically +\- 0.2 gr from my beam scale, which is not bad. -BUT-

Once it measured 2grains low. Not sure why, but an extra 2 grains can be a big deal at a max load.

Once, I kept trickling into my beam scale and it just felt wrong. I double checked on my e-scale and it was an overcharge. Somehow the beam scale stuck on its bearing and gave me a weird reading.

The ability to double check charges is worth $80or $90 IMHO. I use both scales to validate set-up, will double check any charge that seems unusual (you'll know), and double check about every 10 loads to make sure nothing has gotten out of whack...
Old 11-07-2013, 03:06 AM
Silver Member

Jacktrude
Old departed friend Allen, God rest his soul, had a custom Mauser in 22/250 that I reloaded ammo for him (he was a quadriplegic). He had a Lee Basic w/ plastic mallet and a wood block. Neck size only and seated the primers by pushing down against the block. The powder charge was fill the case w/ Surplus 4831 and scrape the excess off and seat a Speer 55gr Flat Base Spitzer on top. Every round, not just five or so, went into <1". That Lee and a scale can get you started as it has for thousands of others before you. That is the cheapest route. By the way, I have one in 45/70 that I polished the neck portion w/ 400, 800, and 2000 grit sandpaper that I field load trial loads for that gun right at the shooting bench.
Now if they just made it in 375Ruger.....
Old 11-07-2013, 06:48 PM

I appreciate that.

In your shooting experience will you do better with more accurate shots using a heavier bullet say 190 grain compared to a 168 grain at 1000 yards?
Old 11-07-2013, 09:35 PM
Silver Member

Jachtrude

The closer in weight your bullet is to the stability limit of your rifleing twist rate the more form stable the bullet is @ long range. 22cal-55gr ideal twist is 1-14. 30cal-220gr is 1-10 etc. If you spin it too fast the bullet will lurch somewhere down range as it corrects its aerodynamic path with its spin stabilized direction. This is an over simplification of a complex subject. The lurch doesn't happen at the exact same range in the exact same amount for every shot so it causes dispersion. 308 target loads went to 168gr (an odd weight) to adjust for its 1-12 twist. Optimaly stabilized bullets adjust aerodynamicaly in a constant rate so they follow the ideal low drag point on path all the way to the target. No lurch. 556Nato went to 80gr bullets for extreme ranges to compinsate for the 1-7 twist.

Bottom line: heavy good, light bad. Heavy for caliber slugs= high BC. When the weight starts dragging the velocity down there is a comprimise. Use a ballistic program to run the "what ifs".

Hope this helps but whole books have been written about it. Can't hope to cover it here.
Old 11-08-2013, 07:32 AM

Thank you, What you said is very close to what the old timer veterans said to me.
Old 11-09-2013, 04:52 PM
Platinum Member

"556Nato went to 80gr bullets for extreme ranges to compinsate for the 1-7 twist."

Not really, it was the reverse. The military went to the fast twist to stabalize the long bullets they wanted to shoot.
Old 11-09-2013, 05:36 PM
Silver Member

Boomtube

E. Ezell's book "The Great Rifle Controversy" covers it pretty well. Eugene Stoner designed the AR 15 w/ 1-14 twist. Lousy powder (Too much Tums left over from the acid neutralizing process- ten times what was acceptable in the 308/ WC844) almost got Winchester execs tossed in jail. Same powder that jammed the guns in Viet Nam was excessively slow and highly variable in velocity in Arctic conditions. Huge controversy at the time but the Brass said "tighten the twist to 1-12" when the ballisticians asked to improve the powder. Twist went to 1-12. Over-stabilized bullets quit tumbling and punched a clean hole through the enemy. Legendary killing power of the dreaded "Black Rifle" goes away.
NATO accepts the 556 and wants better hard penetration. 1-12 stabilizes 62gr M855 just fine but bullets punch 3mm plate @ 500m better when over-stabilized @ 1-7. NATO adopts 1-7 twist to punch steel. AMU shooters are then stuck shooting the mouse gun with a 1-7 twist, way more than required even for 69gr match bullets that require only 1-10. No issued ammo in 556 requires a 1-7 twist, even the SS109/M855 62gr pill will stabilize @ 1-12, barely. The APT tracer ammo that has a very long bullet stabilizes in 1-10.
The 80gr Match loads are so long they will not feed up from the mag and must be single loaded, not something desirable in today's combat. That's why I stated 1-7 twist came first and 80gr bullets to match that twist came after.
It's a sore spot for me because some of the names engraved on the black wall of the Viet Nam Memorial got there because of this. Nobody payed for that. Those lost aren't coming back.
I'm not barking at anyone. Part of me still hurts at the thought.