Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Reloading Investment

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2013, 03:27 PM

Re: Reloading Investment

Thanks for the advice everyone, I am located in or near Augusta, GA
Old 11-06-2013, 01:57 PM
Silver Member

Try the Hornady Lock-n-Load single stage and their dies. They use a sliding collar that holds the case neck and bullet concentric for seating. This is way more important than most people think. Lee collet neck sizer is a must. Get the starter kit from Hornady and it should include their powder measure. It drops powder pretty consistant. I like the Lee priming tools but that is extra. Ditto the Lee case trimming setup. I buy a Lee cutter & lockstud w/ the case length gauge and shell holder (two different items) for each caliber and just keep that setup in the die box. It trims cases to max and cuts as good as the best of them (which I also have). Add a electronic caliper from Harbor Freight as you need to measure lots of stuff.

The most important thing is a friend who does reloading already. They will shorten the learning curve and your reloads will be great straight away. My wife has a croquet and Bible group once a month upstairs and the men folk meet in the man cave to "praise the Lord and pass the ammunition." (quote from a WWI tune)
Old 11-06-2013, 06:33 PM

Thanks for the information. I have bought almost everything I think I will need. The Hornady Classic came with a electronic scale. It should be ok for weighing everything or should I get something else?

Thanks Jack
Old 11-06-2013, 06:42 PM
Platinum Member

Whatever you decide to do...Use this brass...

Lapua Reloading Brass 308 Winchester Box of 100

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 11-06-2013, 07:26 PM
Platinum Member

How much would it cost to buy a new car so you could drive from Santa Monica to Boston? Answer: Most anything would get that accomplished and would get you there just as well if you drove the same. Granted, how easy the ride may be would vary a bit but the goal itself would be accomplished just as well with most anything available. The most basic of reloading gear - which is quite good - will make good ammo. How well you may be able to hit with it at 1K yards is another question and that matters too.

It will take you quite awhile to learn to reload as well as normal dies, presses and components allow and no money thrown at costly purchases is going to produce instant skill and understanding for the difficult task you're aiming at. Get basic stuff and learn to use it; by the time you learn how to use standard gear as well as it can be used you'll have enough personal experience to make your own choices without asking such questions on the web. Three-four hundred bucks should get you off to a good start, add more stuff when you need it.

What you don't need ... well, you don't need a lot of what you may be told. You won't need a digital scale or a digital powder dumpster to dispense powder with precision. You don't need steel pins and a wet tumbler to keep your cases in good shape. You don't need case neck turners or high dollar case trimmers or primer pocket uniformers to start with. You'll never need expensive professional machinist grade micrometers and calipers. You sure won't need costly "competition" dies and shell holders or extra bullet crimpers or high cost priming tools to start. Nor do you need costly cases; Remington/Winchester bulk brass is better than you'll be for a long while and you'll have to get way up the learning curve before any of that matters; learn on the less costly cases before you even think of buying the imported stuff.
Old 11-06-2013, 07:37 PM

Thank you for the advice.
Old 11-06-2013, 08:06 PM

now comes the addiction part where you find you can make your deer gun shot pretty small holes darn it.Then your pistols get the same treatment,pretty soon everything in the safe that goes bang has a recipe,you ponder over lists in large volume books full of numbers and calculations,and soon realize,this is relaxing. Least it is of me anyway,just like shooting,concentrate on one thing at a time.