Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Reloading Investment

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2013, 03:32 PM

Reloading Investment

What would it cost for me to start doing my own reloading? Remember I have never done this before. I plan on reloading 308 ammo for 1000 yard shooting and 223 for shorter distances.

Thanks, Jack
Old 10-29-2013, 04:00 PM
Silver Member

Re: Reloading Investment

anywhere from a few hundred to a few thousand depending on the quality you want.
Old 10-29-2013, 07:30 PM
Platinum Member

I think you can get set-up to load highly precise ammo for $800 or so, a fair amount less if you go with some lower-end equipment on the front end. Reloading .308 and .223 - are you looking for volume (ie progressive press) or slow and meticulous (single stage press). That decision alone will drive what you get and how much it will cost.
Old 10-30-2013, 06:19 AM

Mainly looking to reload for 1000 yards or better. And over the counter for this type ammo is large so I am also looking to save money over the long term. Not looking for large volumes just percision and more kick.
Old 10-30-2013, 11:07 AM
Silver Member

you can get a good set up for anywhere from $500.00 (single stage) to $1000.00 (progressive) that will have you set for a very long time.
If you go cheaper you will still get high quality ammo but, you will most likely be getting upgrades in the near future.
Hornady sells the locknload AP kit where all you will need after the kit is your dies and shell plates. Also they sell the locknload classic kit where again you will need dies and shell holders. Of course Lee, RCBS and lyman also offer good kits.
You will get many responses here (we all have our own humble opinions)
No matter wich way you go I do advise that you get another type of scale (if your kit comes with a beam scale buy a digital and visa versa) it is always a good idea to have a second scale just for verifying. Also it is important to have 2 differant manuals from differant publishers to verify load data. if you cannot verify a load from a differant source dont use it.
Old 10-30-2013, 11:16 AM
Silver Member

Years ago when I started hand loading my own ammo I thought I would save money reloading. I'll tell you straight out that is a pipe dream, figuratively speaking of course. What I have done is engage in a hobby that has been anything other than money saving. I have played with a lot of different cartridges/firearms and have not regretted one red cent of it. I have loaded ammo that produced accuracy I have never witnessed in over the counter fodder. I wouldn't try to talk you out of reloading, but I will tell if you are adept at rolling your own it is addicting and you will sometimes see yourself as a reloading/shooting junky that needs a fix. If you need a second opinion on this just ask my S-I-L, as I taught him to load and he will tell you the same thing.

As VarmintH8R said, you can get all set up for about $800. That is if you start with a single stage press, which I highly recommend. I will probably catch some flak for this but the only advise I have concerning brands is to stay away from Lee brand stuff. Some of his designs are great but the quality of his products seems pitifully inferior to me. I have used some Lee and the only piece I still have is the Auto-prime case primer and as long as they (2, one small and one large) still work I won't replace them.
Old 10-30-2013, 11:20 AM
Silver Member

BTW, Jacktrude where are you located? If you are anywhere near me I would help you get started, that is if you are so inclined.