Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Reloading idea ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2010, 09:23 PM
Silver Member

Reloading idea ...

I have a reloading idea that I want to try and thought I'd bounce it off you.

We all know that barrels vibrate and have sweet spots that need to be identified right..?

My theroy is that changing the pressure spike with seating depth will vibrate it more or less violently producing bigger or smaller overall groups. Magnitude can only be identifed with many dissimilar loads to produce and average pattern.

I have noticed in my light sporter Sako that my POI moves around the target as velocities change and that it might be fair to say using all the different positions may identify where the barrel is centered and not flexing one way or another...?

So, what if you load 10 rounds or so of differnt charges and the same COL off the lands and shoot them all in one group while identifing or overlaying targets to find the center, adjusting for velocity as you go? Would need a little math to correct the velocities as 2800fps does not print the same as 3000fps but, it could b figured out.

You could do this several times at different seating depths and pick the smallest overall group for COL and then charges/velocities that most frequent the center of all the groups?

40-50 rounds later you have a nice map of your rifle.

Using the smallest group and most on centered load...it might just work?

Hope you understand what I'm saying.
Old 07-06-2010, 12:16 AM
Silver Member

Re: Reloading idea ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airgunner7 View Post
I have a reloading idea that I want to try and thought I'd bounce it off you.

We all know that barrels vibrate and have sweet spots that need to be identified right..?

My theroy is that changing the pressure spike with seating depth will vibrate it more or less violently producing bigger or smaller overall groups. Magnitude can only be identifed with many dissimilar loads to produce and average pattern.

I have noticed in my light sporter Sako that my POI moves around the target as velocities change and that it might be fair to say using all the different positions may identify where the barrel is centered and not flexing one way or another...?

So, what if you load 10 rounds or so of differnt charges and the same COL off the lands and shoot them all in one group while identifing or overlaying targets to find the center, adjusting for velocity as you go? Would need a little math to correct the velocities as 2800fps does not print the same as 3000fps but, it could b figured out.

You could do this several times at different seating depths and pick the smallest overall group for COL and then charges/velocities that most frequent the center of all the groups?

40-50 rounds later you have a nice map of your rifle.

Using the smallest group and most on centered load...it might just work?

Hope you understand what I'm saying.

Your idea sounds similar to what is called Rapid Load Development. See link
Handload Development Strategy
Old 07-06-2010, 08:45 PM
Platinum Member

coyotezapper, thanks for posting the link, interesting read.
Old 07-07-2010, 04:15 PM
Silver Member

Yeah, thanks, been reading it too.
Old 07-08-2010, 03:12 PM
Platinum Member

"My theroy is that changing the pressure spike with seating depth will vibrate it more or less violently"

Don't think changing seating depth is going to change the violence of viberations, that's going to be determined by the time:pressure curve of the load and how it's all bedded.

Seating depth seems more likely to shift the time of bullet exit.
Old 07-09-2010, 02:06 AM
Silver Member

I can see how it would effect timing but, it changes everything else too.
Too close to the lands and pressure goes up or too close to the powder and it can also go up.

My thought is, that more pressure = more hammering/stonger vibrations. Finding the smoothest push without spikes should be the goal IMO