Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Reloading helpPlease

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2012, 10:48 PM
Silver Member

Reloading helpPlease

Hey Guys, Got a interesting problem going on...Ive reloaded for years and am usually pretty ontop of problems..this one has me stumped....Ok Reloading for a buddys 300 Weatherby...having problem with brass going back in sizing die after it is fired thru this gun....brand new brass goes in and sizes easy...they close nice in the gun...shoot them and they are stuck, have to pound them out....Go to resize...case wont go all the way in. Die...Tried Rem brass and Weatherby brass...even took factory brass, once fired...went in die fine... loaded it shoot it same thing.. its like after shooting thru gun they are expanding too much where the case will only go half way thru die before coming tight..Knowing stuck bolt is signs of pressure...knocked the load way down...3 grains under max....same thing...changed powder and same thing.....is this a chamber problem and extractor problem or am I missing something...Ive loaded this same load for this gun a few hundred rounds No problems....Thanks Guys
Old 06-22-2012, 11:51 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Reloading helpPlease

It is hard to diagnose something without being there. Anyway, here is what I would do, I would take the die apart. Look it all over really well and make sure nothing looks wrong with it. I would then clean every part of it, especially inside the cylinder. I would try to look inside the chamber of my gun and see if anything looks abnormal and clean the inside of the chamber really well.

Can you post a pic of a new piece of brass and the once fired? My bet is something has changed in your chamber.
Old 06-23-2012, 07:37 AM
Platinum Member

That sounds like excessive head space to me, Brass has a certain amount of spring back but once you pass that, and maybe have pretty soft brass, I can see it happening. I ran into that very same problem when I first started out reloading, quick trip to the GS and yup it had excessive head space. Not knowing then what I know now I got rid of the rifle instead of having it rebarreled.
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe
Old 06-23-2012, 08:30 AM
Silver Member

IMO you have a headspace issue. You need to get your hands on go/no go gauges to absolutely confirm or dispel this condition. From what you describe I would wager that you can close the bolt on the no go gauge. I would NOT FIRE this weapon again until safe head space is confirmed. Be safe. YMMV
Old 06-23-2012, 01:26 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trnelson View Post
IMO you have a headspace issue. You need to get your hands on go/no go gauges to absolutely confirm or dispel this condition. From what you describe I would wager that you can close the bolt on the no go gauge. I would NOT FIRE this weapon again until safe head space is confirmed. Be safe. YMMV
so excessive headspace will cause even new brass to swell enough not to go into the sizing die...very strange...kinda stuck it looks like as there are no GS within 100 miles of us...funny thing, wouldnt there be some pressure signs...there is nothing but a locked bolt after the shot...die is very new..looks good and clean as well...
Old 06-23-2012, 02:37 PM
Platinum Member

In my experience yes it will, did you happen to notice anything about the primer? backed out, cratered...........

that's exactly what I rifle I had way back when did, no pressure signs other than a stuck case even with mild loads, I don't remember anything about how hard it was to resize though.
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe
Old 06-23-2012, 04:53 PM
Gold Member

How's your trim length? 10 thousands under? I would start there. Then measure headspace. Exesive headspace will cause brass to expand to much, normally at the base of the brass. New brass/ammo in belted cases sometimes space off the belt (sometimes).