Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Reloading help for a newby

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2013, 11:08 PM

Reloading help for a newby

I have already realized that I have to learn a lot more to keep me from spending my money twice after spending some time reading thru some of these forums.
By that I mean I need to figure out exactly what I want to shoot before buying powder (already made that mistake and now I have a pound of powder and no rifle to shoot it in).
I just purchased a T3 in 300wsm. I know this has been answered a few times but I would like to hear it again.
What powder / bullet combo do you recommend for Elk hunting. I am planning to go to Wyoming this fall and want to spend sometime developing some loads.
I like everything I hear about berger bullets and would like to try a couple different grains.

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:17 AM
Gold Member

Re: Reloading help for a newby

I have a t3 in 300wsm and it will shoot one hole groups using fed 215primers, h4350 and the berger 190 vld. The tikka is a long action with a 1 in 11 barrel twist and a wsm length magazine. If you want to try and run heavier burgers you will have to buy a 300 win mag (long mag) magazine or seat the bullets very deep. Of course the mags work in the bottom metal(plastic) so that is easy but expensive. I just run the 190 in mine and have bean real happy with it.
Old 01-03-2013, 05:23 PM

Thanks D.ID. I was hoping to her from a fellow tikka owner.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:08 PM
Bronze Member

I've had good luck with the 180 gr Nosler Accubond for elk. PM me if you want to know some specific loads that work well in my Tikka T3.

Bruce
Old 01-03-2013, 11:20 PM
Bronze Member

I also own a t3 in 300 wsm and starting to reload so any help for us newbys would be great.