Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Reloading in Hampton Roads

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2013, 07:35 AM
Silver Member

Reloading in Hampton Roads

I'm putting together my kit for reloading and need to locate reliable sources of components in the Hampton Roads area.

I'm willing to travel within reason. I live near Suffolk so pretty much most of northeastern NC and southeastern to mid Virginia is within reason.. Glen Allen and Winchester would be stretching it but the view would be worth the drive.

Specifically looking for reliable sources of powder (H-1000), brass, bullets (Berger Hybrid/VLDs, AMAXs 190gr and heavier), and Federal GM215 primers. This is for 300WM.

The handgun stuff seems to be plentiful, so no issues there for 10mm, .357mag/.38 special.

If, during this process, local shooting and reloading buddies are found... that would be... Awesome!

I appreciate the help.

Thanks...

Animo et Fide "Courage and Faith"

Never Forget.... Never Forgive.

"History does not long trust the care of freedom to the weak or timid" Dwight David Eisenhower
Sic Semper Tyrannis...Veritas et Aequitas

Old 07-27-2013, 05:49 PM
Gold Member

Re: Reloading in Hampton Roads

did some drinking and shooting in the hampton roads area back in the day. Even did a bit of bracket racing in suffolk but uncle same did all my reloading back them. Pretty area you live in though.
Old 07-30-2013, 08:25 AM
Bronze Member

Welcome to the area,,Bob's in dowtown norfolk has some things ,,the armory on Indian River Road,then there's the bass pro in hampton' Have found that it's easier to order from Cabelas or one of the many other mail order stores....

Nobody that I have found specializes in reloading in this area... Powder has been the biggest problem this spring , had to pay the hazmat charges , but got enough from Powder Valley and 3rd generation sporting goods to last me for a little while.

Best of luck' oh I forgot theres a place in suffolk called dachells, don't know what they have , Haven't been out there in a while.....
Old 07-30-2013, 09:18 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grinderdog View Post
Welcome to the area,,Bob's in dowtown norfolk has some things ,,the armory on Indian River Road,then there's the bass pro in hampton' Have found that it's easier to order from Cabelas or one of the many other mail order stores....

Nobody that I have found specializes in reloading in this area... Powder has been the biggest problem this spring , had to pay the hazmat charges , but got enough from Powder Valley and 3rd generation sporting goods to last me for a little while.

Best of luck' oh I forgot theres a place in suffolk called dachells, don't know what they have , Haven't been out there in a while.....
Thanks grinderdog,

I'll have my wife check out Daschels' in Suffolk. What's the going rate on hazmat charges from Cabelas?

As far as the area is concerned, I've been in HR for almost 30 yrs, just new to reloading with everything going on and the outrageous prices for good boxed 300WM ammo. First chance we get we're moving from the oppressive humidity of tidewater to the mountains of Colorado. But it doesn't look like that will take place for awhile.

Thanks for the info!

DocB

"History does not long trust the care of freedom to the weak or timid" Dwight David Eisenhower
Sic Semper Tyrannis...Veritas et Aequitas

Old 07-30-2013, 10:52 AM
Platinum Member

My Uncle lives in Winchester, VA. From what I've been told, it's a nice place.

Been to VA a couple times when I was really young, so I don't remember a whole lot about it, other than Gettysberg was a cool place.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 07-30-2013, 07:06 PM
Bronze Member

I think the standard charge is 27.50 up to x amount of lbs. I have been down here for almost 30 yrs also, and I to want to get back to some mountains, grew up inthe Roanoke valley, used to having the vast national forest to wander around in, And I like my rifles,,, very few places in tidewater to hunt with a rifle .Tried a couple of slug guns but just not the same, I think it has something to do with all this flat ground, with no ridges to climb....
Old 07-31-2013, 06:25 AM
Gold Member

had to laugh at the humidity thing. I reported there in july and being from nothern Michigan thought i was walking into a blast furnace when I stepped off the transport plane. It was so bad that day i thought it was hard to even breath.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocB View Post
Thanks grinderdog,

I'll have my wife check out Daschels' in Suffolk. What's the going rate on hazmat charges from Cabelas?

As far as the area is concerned, I've been in HR for almost 30 yrs, just new to reloading with everything going on and the outrageous prices for good boxed 300WM ammo. First chance we get we're moving from the oppressive humidity of tidewater to the mountains of Colorado. But it doesn't look like that will take place for awhile.

Thanks for the info!

DocB