Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

reloading equipment for the range

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2012, 06:57 PM
Silver Member

reloading equipment for the range

what reload equipment works best for the range ?
I think all I would need is a way to seat the bullets
I could have the cases pre-sized at at home
my existing scale is portable enough
wouldnt be loading enough to need a dropper -? or would I ?
just doing a few to follow up if needed after a ladder test -
which would allready be loaded up at home
I allways end up wishing I had a few more rounds
of a certian charge weight -
sure would be nice to make up a few more right there
what all do I need ?
Old 12-01-2012, 03:08 PM
Platinum Member

Re: reloading equipment for the range

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willoughby View Post
what all do I need ?

here's my setup:

1. a K&M arbor press

2. Wilson inline dies with two to four bushings for each die

3. I use a 4" Mitutoyo dial caliper with bushings to measure over

4. K&M priming tool

5. kinda alternate between a Lyman #55 with the Sinclair bottle adapter & drop tubes and a Harrell. I measure loads with a Pact BBK (always carry an extra battery.

6. I do use a Forster case trimmer (actually two) that I have modded to do several chores in case prep. I also have a Wilson trimmer mounted on this same bracket, but rarely need to use it.

7. when throwing long grained powders I also use a generic trickler (probably an RCBS) and a home brew tool to deburr the case I.D.

I can put all this in a 16"x14" x 10" cigar box that I have made brackets to hold everything in place. I have another box I carry powder, bullets, etc in. Will make a third one to put my spotting scope in with the mount as well as the Chronograph & tripod. Onething that has sorta perplexed me is a really good way to carry cleaning rods and cleaning equipment. At the point now that I need to pick up a good range cart.
gary
Old 12-02-2012, 03:10 AM

Wilson seating dies work very well. for just seating, you may be able to just do it by hand and not even need a press of any sort.

you will definitely need a scale of some sort and a funnel. whether you need, or want a powder measure depends on how many rounds at a time you are planning on loading, if you are only planning on loading a few at a time the LEE powder dippers may be a good solution. I would definitely have a powder trickler and I would highly recomend the Redding one.

At the range that is the minimum that you would need.

For carrying Cleaning rods get some PVC pipe 1/2 of the length of the rod, an adapter to 2" and enough for the length of the handle, and a couple of end caps. Glue together everything except the large end cap and it will protect your rods very well.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:27 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willoughby View Post
what all do I need ?
I have set up like this

The Rifleman's Journal: Reloading: Range Reloading
Old 12-02-2012, 11:03 AM
Platinum Member

I don't reload at the range but I am set up for mobile reloading >>> "Newbie's" reloading bench is ...

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
Old 12-02-2012, 01:57 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by czsharpshooter View Post
Wilson seating dies work very well. for just seating, you may be able to just do it by hand and not even need a press of any sort.

you will definitely need a scale of some sort and a funnel. whether you need, or want a powder measure depends on how many rounds at a time you are planning on loading, if you are only planning on loading a few at a time the LEE powder dippers may be a good solution. I would definitely have a powder trickler and I would highly recomend the Redding one.

At the range that is the minimum that you would need.

For carrying Cleaning rods get some PVC pipe 1/2 of the length of the rod, an adapter to 2" and enough for the length of the handle, and a couple of end caps. Glue together everything except the large end cap and it will protect your rods very well.
if you load mostly ball powders at the range the Lyman will throw them +/- 1/10th of a grain all day long. Sinclair sells drop tubes tat have a counter bore inside them to fit case necks as well as a generic (fits most all) vee shaped I.D. The bottle adapter is something I couldn't live without after getting one!! What I wish somebody would do is build something like a Black & Decker Workmate out of aluminum with a 24" square top!
gary
Old 12-02-2012, 02:09 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM H View Post
wonder where he got the name plate from??? I met the "old man" once at the Nationals.

The table is nice, but not very portable. A B&D work mate with a 3/4" thick piece of plywood ontop (about 24" x 36") would give me enough room to reload and clean rifle barrels (I could get by with 24" square in a pinch). The area I consume for reloading at the range is about the same size as his tool box. I did see a setup once that C-clamped to the shooting bench and sorta hung off to one side about 20". Guy said the plate was from an old photo enlarger base. Had two home made clamps under it, and was rock solid. A lot of places I shoot at makes me have to walk close to a city block to get to the range. That would get old fast.
gary