Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Reloading equipment advise needed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2013, 08:30 PM

Reloading equipment advise needed

I just got my dads RCBS reloading stuff out of the attic. Looks like a single stage kit. He had a few dies that i can use and i am ready to add a few pieces of equipment.

I need advice on priming tool/press, a case cleaner and a auto powder measurer.
I am new to this and all info is welcome.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:30 PM
Silver Member

Re: Reloading equipment advise needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuatro View Post
I just got my dads RCBS reloading stuff out of the attic. Looks like a single stage kit. He had a few dies that i can use and i am ready to add a few pieces of equipment.

I need advice on priming tool/press, a case cleaner and a auto powder measure
I am new to this and all info is welcome.

Priming tool: Hard to go wrong with a Lee Auto Prime...Probably be better off to buy the 11 piece shell holder kit, as it will be cheaper in the long run...

Electric powder dispenser: I like my RCBS Chargemaster, but you need a balance beam scale if you don't already need one.. It's also fine for starting out and many people prefer them..

Case cleaner: I have a Midway 1292 it's been cleaning thousands of cases for almost 20 years..
Old 01-25-2013, 09:53 PM
Silver Member

I have the Hornady automatic charge thrower. I love it and could never go back to only the balance beam scale. I am sure the RCBS is great too. I got the RCBS case prep station and love that also. To clean cases I just use a Lyman 1200 (I think) case tumbler and am pleased with that.
Old 01-25-2013, 11:01 PM
Bronze Member

I use the lee hand priming tool also. works great and it was cheap. I used a lyman balance beam scale for years but just upgraded to the lyman 1200 auto dispenser. It works well. No compliants. I think all of the cheap tumblers will get the job done if you keep good media in them. I have a cheap lyman tumbler and a large dillon tumbler. The lyman works well but the dillon is much faster. you will need a case trimmer. Get one that can hook up to a power drill. Trimming cases is the only part of reloading that I hate. I like the lee deluxe die sets. I don't think you can beat them for the price. Get a good reloading manual and read it. I you have any other specific questions ask away.
Old 01-26-2013, 07:35 PM

Thanks for all the info. I shoot a 30-378 and was told to only use a neck die if the brass stays with the same gun. That right?
Dies will work in all brands? Lee dies on a rcbs press?
Best current manual?
How do you measure the depth of your lands in a barrel?

Thanks
Old 01-26-2013, 07:53 PM
Platinum Member

Lets not dazzle and confuse this person with all the electronic fandango crap.... He don't need it now. He needs basic tools.

You have a single stage press, get yourself an RCBS or Lee hand primer. Simple effective and cheap. The Lee shellholder set (you need that) fits both plus it fits your press and it's cheap. You can upgrade to an auto prime later and sell your hand primer but I doubt you will. I prefer my hand prime over a press prime anytime.

A loading block made from a 2x4 with proper size holes works to hold cases. Been using 2x4's for years for loading blocks. Cheap again.

Both Lee and RCBS make a basic case prep kit with hand brushes (but nylon bore brushes of the correct diameter work too. Get a chamfering tool for case mouths and neck chamfer.

A powder funnel and trickler and a beam scale, not the electronic crap yet. Nothing beats the accuracy of a jeweled movement, magnetically dampened beam scale, nothing. I use a beam scale even today. I have an old but accurate 5-0-5 RCBS. Inexpensive., lasts forever.

I have a hand trickler, a Lyman, works fine, was cheap.

I use an RCBS powder measure but they are all good, just learn to move the charge lever the same speed and slap the upper and lower stop everythime. No biggie. Cheap again. Forget the micrometer whatyoucallit for the powder measure, useless. Put your micrometer head on your seater die....

A set of dial calipers to measure COAL and neck concentricity should do it. Harbor Freight has some cheap but serviceable ones that if you drop them, you won't have a coronary....

I like al dies, Lee the least, Redding the most but dies have to do with personal preference and caliber being loaded so I won't go there....

That will get you started, if you can get components today.... Thats another challenge.
Old 01-26-2013, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
Lets not dazzle and confuse this person with all the electronic fandango crap.... He don't need it now. He needs basic tools.

You have a single stage press, get yourself an RCBS or Lee hand primer. Simple effective and cheap. The Lee shellholder set (you need that) fits both plus it fits your press and it's cheap. You can upgrade to an auto prime later and sell your hand primer but I doubt you will. I prefer my hand prime over a press prime anytime.

A loading block made from a 2x4 with proper size holes works to hold cases. Been using 2x4's for years for loading blocks. Cheap again.

Both Lee and RCBS make a basic case prep kit with hand brushes (but nylon bore brushes of the correct diameter work too. Get a chamfering tool for case mouths and neck chamfer.

A powder funnel and trickler and a beam scale, not the electronic crap yet. Nothing beats the accuracy of a jeweled movement, magnetically dampened beam scale, nothing. I use a beam scale even today. I have an old but accurate 5-0-5 RCBS. Inexpensive., lasts forever.

I have a hand trickler, a Lyman, works fine, was cheap.

I use an RCBS powder measure but they are all good, just learn to move the charge lever the same speed and slap the upper and lower stop everythime. No biggie. Cheap again. Forget the micrometer whatyoucallit for the powder measure, useless. Put your micrometer head on your seater die....

A set of dial calipers to measure COAL and neck concentricity should do it. Harbor Freight has some cheap but serviceable ones that if you drop them, you won't have a coronary....

I like al dies, Lee the least, Redding the most but dies have to do with personal preference and caliber being loaded so I won't go there....

That will get you started, if you can get components today.... Thats another challenge.
Thanks for the input. Will get supplies and get my bench set up and ready.