Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Reloading equipment

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2007, 08:56 PM

Reloading equipment

I have a little experiance reloading but I always used someone elses equipment. I have since moved 960 miles from that friend and am unable to use his toy's.

I am familar with the Wilson Hand dies (what my buddy used). He always told me that they were more accurate than using a press???

As I am faced with purchasing my own equipment, I would like to make wise decisions. Help!!!!

Hand Die's or Press??????

Old 09-04-2007, 06:51 AM
Silver Member

Crawfish

I have only used presses so have no experience with hand dies, I guess it depends somewhat on what your using the finished article for i.e. target or hunting but I could be wrong.

HP
Old 09-04-2007, 08:30 AM
Platinum Member

Use an Arbor Press with the Wilson's --- is the best option out there. I load my sporting rifles as well as my competition ones with it. I use the sinclair press but there are others.
Old 09-04-2007, 09:04 AM
Platinum Member

Hand dies are the best IF the gun is tight tolerance and you have the experience to use them. If not waste of time and money for new reloader.

I have numerous sets of the hand dies (wilson and custom) but they are not made for FL sizing of magnum cases (neck size only) which is a major problem with magnum cartridges. Nor will hand dies bump the shoulder which will be required.

If standard factory, use the regular press and 7/8x14 dies to learn on. Plus not all calibers come in hand dies off the shelf and really costly to have custom made for regular caliber ($250-300). A press will load anything with a decent set of dies.

Later on for custom chambers and tighter tolerances, learn to use the hand dies.

Go to ebay and buy some used items to start and save dollars

used forester bonanza coax press or rcbs rockchucker press for 1/3 retail cost.

RCBS 10-10 scale for $30 (retail new $130)

Buy a RCBS primer tool

decent caliper

couple loading trays

sinclair seating depth tool

set of bullet comparators from stoney point

get RW hart or sinclair int. catalog for primer pocket tools, etc Robert W. Hart and Son Inc. or Sinclair International - Specializing in products designed for precision rifle ammunition reloading and shooting

I like the Forester bonanza BR dies, Hornady custom and the Redding.

Bottom line is buy the standard press, learn and later buy hand dies for the ones that warrant and can use that degree of accuracy. Anyway that is my opinion.

BH

Last edited by BountyHunter; 09-04-2007 at 10:18 AM.
Old 09-04-2007, 09:10 AM
Silver Member

Are you loading for a custom-barreled rifle with a tight chamber? There is no problem with using hand dies, but they are generally employed to "feel" the seating of the bullets in neck-turned cases so that you are assured of properly tensioned bullets. What volume do you anticipate loading? Unless you have a particular objective, a standard press may be more convenient. If you are loading for a factory barrel, there is no real advantage to hand dies unless you just want to use that method.

In the end, you're the guy who has to pull the handle.
Old 09-04-2007, 09:44 AM
Platinum Member

I was speaking of seating dies only. Would not dream of sizing with anything but a full length sizing die.
Old 09-04-2007, 06:28 PM

I spend as much time at the range as possible, as well as Deer and coyote hunting.

I do not shoot any competions.....Yet......I would like to get started in a year or two.

I shoot only factory rifles right now (Win coyote,Rem sendero, Tikka, and Savage).

Thanks for the help

Keep it coming