Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Reloading Dies - Which ones?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2010, 08:28 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Reloading Dies - Which ones?

A body die + a neck sizer = an FL die.

"my Lee dies are not sizing my brass correctly which is why I can't bump my shoulder back with the FL sizer."

If you just want to try another die set it really won't much matter, there's no magic in any brand of dies. They are all made to SAMMI tolerances and that's a range, not a specific point. I've measured a lot of dies and find there's as much variation, on average, between dies of the same maker as there is between makers. We may see wording by different die makers that tout their "precision" but you won't see them actually say they have "tighter tolerances" in their dies than others; that would be false!

If you only want to set the shoulders back enough there's a 99% probability you don't have your Lee FL down quite far enough. Do what you usually do but turn the FL down another 1/8th turn first. Bet that fixes things.
Old 03-17-2010, 09:07 AM
Silver Member

What I noticed the biggest difference between the Lee and other dies is that you have to cam over the press to resize. There is a sleeve that pushes up into the die body to do the resizing. In addition there is no locking slug screw and the rubber o-ring makes it very difficult to do precise movements.

I've ruined several peices of brass now moving the die back and forth and getting really odd readings from the RCBS precision mic. Not sure what is going on there but I'm going to go another direction. I only wish I had a set of another brand of dies to do some testing with before I committed.

Ok so now I see why #2 on my list was not a good idea.

So should I get the Bushing neck dies? Are they over kill?

Tom
Old 03-17-2010, 02:11 PM
Silver Member

$36.00 Redding 2 die set (FL sizing die and a seater die). Stop there. You can do all you need to do with those dies.

Fitch
Old 03-17-2010, 05:15 PM
Platinum Member

"There is a sleeve that pushes up into the die body to do the resizing. "

AH! We've found the problem!

The only Lee size die that has a sleeve is their neck die, it WON'T change the shoulders, not supposed to. You need a real FL die for that. Anybody's.
Old 03-17-2010, 05:22 PM
Silver Member

The standard Redding seat die is not a sliding sleeve design like the Forster. You have a few avenues of pursuit when sizing the brass, conventional FL sizer (all are about the same), neck sizer (Lee Collet neck sizing is hard to beat), and bushing dies. The bushing dies are more precise but a lot more expensive.

Seating is a different story. The precision sliding sleeve design by Forster is at the top of the heap and seating with this kind of die pays the biggest dividends for keeping runout under control.

My advice is go with Forster.
Old 03-17-2010, 05:44 PM
Silver Member

I'm not knocking any die manufacturers dies. But, over the years, I've never had a problem with Redding dies. If I were to buy another set right now, Redding would be my choice. But to each his own..

The competition set is the best choice in my opinion. That is if you have the funds of course, because they can get expensive...
Old 03-17-2010, 08:44 PM
Bronze Member

Redding (Competition) and Forster (all) seating dies are equivalent on the inside. Forster gives you the choice of whether or not you want micrometer adjustment to go with it. It's the sleeve on the inside that makes them seat straight. The micrometer adjustment is for convenience. Both are great dies.

Andy