Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Reloading bench finish?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2014, 11:56 PM
Silver Member

Reloading bench finish?

Building a reloading bench out of a glulam and was wintering what the best finish to put on it? Something resistance to solvents?
Old 03-11-2014, 10:23 AM
Silver Member

Re: Reloading bench finish?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booney View Post
Building a reloading bench out of a glulam and was wintering what the best finish to put on it? Something resistance to solvents?

I'd look at a marine grade of Polyurethane or paint if you want a brush, spray, or roll on finish.

On my bench tops, I used some white Formica laminate I had left over from a custom closet job I did a while back. No solvent has 'melted' it yet including Hoppes #9, BoreTech, Sweets and a couple other 'gun solvents.' I've also had Brake cleaners, some momentary drips of acetone, Xylene, mineral spirits, Methyl and Isopropyl alcohol to name a few of the more aggressive solvents I've used on different projects. The only thing that I know would destroy the laminate would be things like paint strippers and perhaps turpentine.

If I had to do it again though, I would not have used the color white but rather a light or medium grey, tan, or green. The white surface is sometimes too bright when I have all the lights on or am using a magnifying lamp.

That's what I did, Hope you can take something from it.

Pete

A 'do nothing' Congress is not always a bad thing. If they pass enough laws, it should be entirely possible to sterilize one's complete life experience.

"The 'tolerant' left has come full circle... and has now become what they so despised."
Old 03-11-2014, 12:42 PM
Silver Member

I prefer several coats of a good wax (e.g Trewax) and a schedule that includes recoating about once a year. Some solvents will penetrate but that's OK, they just tend to add more sealer to the wood grain (and a bit of character to the surface) if I don't get them wiped up in time

American riflemans triad - God, guts and guns. It built America and it'll preserve America. Abandon one and you lose them all.
Old 03-11-2014, 07:14 PM
Silver Member

Booney, The Blue mountains? Would that be Pennsylvania or Oregon?

Pete

A 'do nothing' Congress is not always a bad thing. If they pass enough laws, it should be entirely possible to sterilize one's complete life experience.

"The 'tolerant' left has come full circle... and has now become what they so despised."
Old 03-11-2014, 07:17 PM
Silver Member

I used an entire gallon of Floor and Stair paint on this bench. Dried like concrete and 4 years later it still looks like I just painted it. FWIW - I use this bench a lot.

Old 03-11-2014, 07:30 PM
Silver Member

flash, Is that epoxy or acrylic base floor paint?

Pete

Old 03-11-2014, 08:44 PM
Platinum Member

Try a poly rated for hardwood type floors, like a gym floor finish. Id 2-3 coat it.