Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Reloading bench finish?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2014, 11:56 PM
Silver Member

Reloading bench finish?

Building a reloading bench out of a glulam and was wintering what the best finish to put on it? Something resistance to solvents?
Old 03-11-2014, 10:23 AM
Silver Member

Location: NY, #50 on the all time best States to live in! and droppin' fast! :)
Re: Reloading bench finish?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booney View Post
Building a reloading bench out of a glulam and was wintering what the best finish to put on it? Something resistance to solvents?

I'd look at a marine grade of Polyurethane or paint if you want a brush, spray, or roll on finish.

On my bench tops, I used some white Formica laminate I had left over from a custom closet job I did a while back. No solvent has 'melted' it yet including Hoppes #9, BoreTech, Sweets and a couple other 'gun solvents.' I've also had Brake cleaners, some momentary drips of acetone, Xylene, mineral spirits, Methyl and Isopropyl alcohol to name a few of the more aggressive solvents I've used on different projects. The only thing that I know would destroy the laminate would be things like paint strippers and perhaps turpentine.

If I had to do it again though, I would not have used the color white but rather a light or medium grey, tan, or green. The white surface is sometimes too bright when I have all the lights on or am using a magnifying lamp.

That's what I did, Hope you can take something from it.

Pete
Old 03-11-2014, 12:42 PM
Gold Member

I prefer several coats of a good wax (e.g Trewax) and a schedule that includes recoating about once a year. Some solvents will penetrate but that's OK, they just tend to add more sealer to the wood grain (and a bit of character to the surface) if I don't get them wiped up in time

American rifleman's triad - God, guts and guns. It built America and it'll preserve America. Abandon one and you lose them all.
Old 03-11-2014, 07:14 PM
Silver Member

Booney, The Blue mountains? Would that be Pennsylvania or Oregon?

Pete
Old 03-11-2014, 07:17 PM
Silver Member

I used an entire gallon of Floor and Stair paint on this bench. Dried like concrete and 4 years later it still looks like I just painted it. FWIW - I use this bench a lot.

Old 03-11-2014, 07:30 PM
Silver Member

flash, Is that epoxy or acrylic base floor paint?

Pete
Old 03-11-2014, 08:44 PM
Platinum Member

Try a poly rated for hardwood type floors, like a gym floor finish. Id 2-3 coat it.