Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Reloading: Beating the dead horse

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2012, 08:02 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Reloading: Beating the dead horse

Hey Hulk, welcome aboard, You are in for a good ride, and you have some good help here. A few additional items that I feel that are also a must are primer pocket uniformer, (Sinclair), and also a internal flash hole de- burring tool. Sinclair also has this item. You will not believe the inconsistency in brass when it comes to this area. One last thing that I recommend is a RCBS precision mic. This lets you check and properly set your resizing die, and also measures base to ogive very accurately. It also helps you to find YOUR headspace by measuring fired brass from datum line to base, and then you adjust your resizing die to .003 clearance, and then your brass will last longer. Also, get a good quality digital vernier caliper. Have fun and ask for advice when needed. There is a good " brain trust " here on this site, ( present company excluded), LOL. Be fussy with every thing, and don't be afraid to throw brass away if it isn't up to par. Today's brass isn't that great, but it is the platform that the best accuracy comes from, and that is consistency. AIM SMALL,MISS SMALL, 7STW
Old 01-31-2012, 10:43 AM
Bronze Member

I dont think I am old, but maybe Im well on my way. So I have to offer something you should take constructively.

Patience, and lots of it.

I dont think you can "spend" your way to your goal. You have to take it slowly and learn along the way. Trial and error, with and emphasis on error and learning from them. Just because you buy the best quality tools that other "seasoned experts" use does not mean you can use them successfully without knowing why they may work so well. I have found it easy to make bullets, but it is one part art making the holy grail of ammo you set up as your final goal.
Old 01-31-2012, 10:53 AM
Silver Member

Buy a good reloading manual and read it. There is a wealth of info in there on procedures and safety.
Old 01-31-2012, 06:56 PM
Platinum Member

Pick up this book & get the equipment advised:
http://www.amazon.com/Handloading-Competition-Making-Target-Bigger/dp/096269259X
Most from sinclair
Old 01-31-2012, 09:28 PM
Platinum Member

The guy who's reloaded the ammo that's won more matches and set more records for himself and three other people in his family doing it never preped a case except for sometimes turning necks to a uniform thickness and sorting cases by weight to about a 1% spread. He never touched a primer pocket nor flash hole. And he's always full length sized his fired cases for use in standard SAAMI dimension chambers in the rifles he builds to do that stuff.

Most folks spend too much time doing uncecessary stuff instead of just those few important things right. All it takes is a good single stage press such as RCBS, full length bushing dies by RCBS or Redding and the attitude to learn how to use them right.
Old 01-31-2012, 09:38 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart B View Post
The guy who's reloaded the ammo that's won more matches and set more records for himself and three other people in his family doing it never preped a case except for sometimes turning necks to a uniform thickness and sorting cases by weight to about a 1% spread. He never touched a primer pocket nor flash hole. And he's always full length sized his fired cases for use in standard SAAMI dimension chambers in the rifles he builds to do that stuff.

Most folks spend too much time doing uncecessary stuff instead of just those few important things right. All it takes is a good single stage press such as RCBS, full length bushing dies by RCBS or Redding and the attitude to learn how to use them right.
Um.......Ok Bart. Who is "The guy"?
Old 02-01-2012, 05:59 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbutturff View Post
Um.......Ok Bart. Who is "The guy"?
Mid Tompkins.

And David Tubb's another who full length sizes his fired cases he uses to win matches and set records. The full length sizing dies he makes and sells are adjustable for how much the fired case body's reduced; a couple thousandths is all that's needed.