Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Reloading: Beating the dead horse

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2012, 10:09 PM
Silver Member

Reloading: Beating the dead horse

............... Well, im sure you've heard this question before, please indulge me.

Im getting decent results out of factory ammunition, but as you can imagine its starting to get old (the grouping, or lack there of), so I'm getting into reloading. This is my first step, now before you tell me about the 3rd button from the top right side, i'll say that I've already used it. And im going cross eyed, everyone has different opinions and thats fine. Im hoping someone who doesn't mind helping another newb can see what I'm wanting, and direct me from there. Heres what im wanting:

Basically all the peices to have a RELIABLE reloading station, my main concern is ACCURACY, not quantity. As of right now i'll be consentrating on reloading my .300WSM but will also reload 7MM RM and .243 (I want supreme accuracy, i'll spend the money to get it, within reason)

Please, if you will, list the products i'll need to purchase and the best place to buy them.

Edit: Accuracy is key, but its not just for target shooting, I want to be able to confidently shoot at large/heavy game past 800 yards. My dream hunt is a 1k shot on an Elk in the mountains. I've got more practice before I can make that shot, but im willing to put in the time. Reloading is one of the many steps in making this once in a lifetime hunt successful. Thanks for any and all constructive input.

Last edited by thehulk; 01-30-2012 at 10:26 PM. Reason: added info
Old 01-30-2012, 11:04 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Reloading: Beating the dead horse

I would start with a good press and recommend either the Redding Ultra Mag or Forster Coax press. Good quality reloading dies (Redding or Forster). A concentricity measuring tool so you can know if you are doing things accurately and adjust the steps where you are not. I just picked up the 21st century tool and would recommend it. I use the RCBS chargemaster powder measure and love it. I think it is more consistent than the balance beam scales and a lot faster. This should get you started. There are lots a tools out there you can use to help. If you have any questions ask.
Old 01-30-2012, 11:39 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumpm2 View Post
I would start with a good press and recommend either the Redding Ultra Mag or Forster Coax press. Good quality reloading dies (Redding or Forster). A concentricity measuring tool so you can know if you are doing things accurately and adjust the steps where you are not. I just picked up the 21st century tool and would recommend it. I use the RCBS chargemaster powder measure and love it. I think it is more consistent than the balance beam scales and a lot faster. This should get you started. There are lots a tools out there you can use to help. If you have any questions ask.

Thanks buddy!!

What website for the rest?
Old 01-30-2012, 11:47 PM
Silver Member

Another question, I've been saving all my casings from my factory ammo (winchester) can I reuse that brass?

And how many times can you reuse brass? From my research it seems 2-3 times assuming you dont hotload or go above the max limits?
Old 01-30-2012, 11:47 PM
Bronze Member

Any reloading store will have the RCBS ChargeMaster Powder dispenser (Sinclair, Midway USA, ect). Concentricity Gauge
Old 01-30-2012, 11:57 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehulk View Post
Another question, I've been saving all my casings from my factory ammo (winchester) can I reuse that brass?

And how many times can you reuse brass? From my research it seems 2-3 times assuming you dont hotload or go above the max limits?
You can use you factory brass without any problems, but to get the most accuracy out of it you will need to spend some more time preparing it. You will need to debur the flash holes and square the primer pockets. Premium brass like Lapua and Norma does not require this extra work, but also brings a premium.

You should get 2-3 reloadings out of your brass without any problems. Brass life all depends on the cartridge and how you are loading it. You can easily get 10-12 firings out of some cartridges. The less you work the brass, the longer it will last, ie just bump the shoulders back 2 thou instead of full length resizing.
Old 01-31-2012, 12:12 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumpm2 View Post
You can use you factory brass without any problems, but to get the most accuracy out of it you will need to spend some more time preparing it. You will need to debur the flash holes and square the primer pockets. Premium brass like Lapua and Norma does not require this extra work, but also brings a premium.

You should get 2-3 reloadings out of your brass without any problems. Brass life all depends on the cartridge and how you are loading it. You can easily get 10-12 firings out of some cartridges. The less you work the brass, the longer it will last, ie just bump the shoulders back 2 thou instead of full length resizing.

Man, I appreciate the info.

I will be placing an order in Febuary. Hopefully be making my first batch of ammo by mid Feb.

Start small they say.....