Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

RELOADING FOR AN AR--.308 NON Crimp?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2013, 10:56 PM
Platinum Member

Re: RELOADING FOR AN AR--.308 NON Crimp?

.....be apprised that applying a crimp to a non-cannelured projectile (I dislike the word bullet btw), (it's a projectile...) can cause overpressure because it restricts the initial movement of the projectile as it exits the case.

Consequently, applying a crimp is an exercise in experience and caution. Too much equals an overpressure condition and it workhardens the brass prematurely and we all know how hard brass is to get right now. Workhardened necks will crack prematurely and the casing at that point is scrap.

Too little does nothing. I use caliber specific Lee Collet Crimp dies (only Lee dies I use btw), and a deft hand at applying the crimp. I don't care for or employ a roll crimp on any rifle die. All my pistol dies crimp but pistol brass is all straight walled, not bottleneck.
Old 04-01-2013, 05:07 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlamb View Post
I load for a DPMS AP4 in .308. I haven't used a crimp yet but have purchased the Taper Crimp die set. I've found on my 5.56 that the crimp is making a difference. I think the bullet is moving when the cartridge is slammed into battery. I'm also using it on match bullets w/o a canelure.

I have under .5MOA performance with 150SMK's and 44.5 grains of Varget.
Thanks for the load data . Whats your OAL on the .308 rounds ?
Old 04-01-2013, 05:08 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
.....be apprised that applying a crimp to a non-cannelured projectile (I dislike the word bullet btw), (it's a projectile...) can cause overpressure because it restricts the initial movement of the projectile as it exits the case.

Consequently, applying a crimp is an exercise in experience and caution. Too much equals an overpressure condition and it workhardens the brass prematurely and we all know how hard brass is to get right now. Workhardened necks will crack prematurely and the casing at that point is scrap.

Too little does nothing. I use caliber specific Lee Collet Crimp dies (only Lee dies I use btw), and a deft hand at applying the crimp. I don't care for or employ a roll crimp on any rifle die. All my pistol dies crimp but pistol brass is all straight walled, not bottleneck.
My father has loaded for several of his pistols . I will get him to help me out with the crimping . He will love to show me how to do it and rub it in of course
Old 04-01-2013, 10:16 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbuck View Post
Thanks for the load data . Whats your OAL on the .308 rounds ?
The COAL is 2.800". I've found Sierra 150SMKs and 150gr Hornady BTSP to work the best.

AR's for coyotes
25-06 M70 for coyotes
6.5-06 Remington Custom w/Leupold Mark IV 6.5-20 tactical setup
AR10 for mule deer
6.5-06 M700 for mule deer
338 Lapua Mag M700 for elk