Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

RELOADING FOR AN AR--.308 NON Crimp?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2013, 12:11 PM
Platinum Member

RELOADING FOR AN AR--.308 NON Crimp?

I will be loading for an AR .308 shortly and I need to know if I can do it without crimping ? I just shot some non crimped factory Ammo out of it and it shot fine with two different kinds of Ammo. I want to load up some Accurate loads so in my opinion crimping would not be in the right direction what say you ?
Thanks for looking....
Old 03-30-2013, 10:12 PM

Re: RELOADING FOR AN AR--.308 NON Crimp?

I don't crimp in my .308 and I haven't had a problem yet (other than loose scope mount and loose turret which turned all my groups to garbage).
Old 03-30-2013, 11:15 PM
Platinum Member

Rule of thumb is:

If the projectile (bullet to you) has a crimp cannelure and you are magazine loading in a high recoil firearm, it's advisable to crimp the case mouth intoi the cannelure so the projectile don't move during recoil........

or in the case of select fire weapons, the multiple recoils of automatic fire can move the projectiles in the case mouths, hence they are crimped (case mouth) and the primers are crimped (the edge of the case head is rolled a bit inward.

Having said that, I crimp all my loads, be it a cannelured projectile or not. However, excessive crimping an non-cannelure projectile can lead to excessive case pressure as well as work hardened brass so I don't advise crimping for anyone unless necessary (and the projectile has a cannelure).

I use specific made crimp dies that are normally not used everyday btw.

Typically, OFMB cases will have been crimped and primers locked and sealed in both 5.56 NATO and 308 7.62x51? NATO.
Old 03-31-2013, 06:58 PM
Platinum Member

OFMB Cases . What does OFMB stand for ?
I plan on shooting sierra 175 SMK's or Bergers they dont have a cannelure on them . Does the Military crimp there .308 SASS Ammo ? Thanks
Old 03-31-2013, 08:41 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbuck View Post
OFMB Cases . What does OFMB stand for ?
I plan on shooting sierra 175 SMK's or Bergers they dont have a cannelure on them . Does the Military crimp there .308 SASS Ammo ? Thanks
You need to get with the nomenclature...

OFMB= One Fired Military Brass

No, neither the Berger or the Sierra have a cannelure and every loaded round the military uses in normal procedures, is crimped, both at the case neck and the primer pocket.

So, you are going to load Sierra 175 grain SMK's or Bergers in the same flavor, I have to ask, what propellant, what primer what propellant load and seating depth and I presume you will full length resize the cases, or maybe not.....

One thing in your favor is that modern firearms have a hole on each side of the receiver in case the shooter makes a mistake... Those holes let the fire out instead of blowing back in your face..... Great innovation.
Old 03-31-2013, 09:03 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
You need to get with the nomenclature...

OFMB= One Fired Military Brass

No, neither the Berger or the Sierra have a cannelure and every loaded round the military uses in normal procedures, is crimped, both at the case neck and the primer pocket.

So, you are going to load Sierra 175 grain SMK's or Bergers in the same flavor, I have to ask, what propellant, what primer what propellant load and seating depth and I presume you will full length resize the cases, or maybe not.....

One thing in your favor is that modern firearms have a hole on each side of the receiver in case the shooter makes a mistake... Those holes let the fire out instead of blowing back in your face..... Great innovation.
I will be loading for a AR DPMS .308 Auto. I planned on using federal 210 Primers with Varget or RL -15 powder. What I usually do with my bolt guns is seat the bullet where it will just barely clear the mag well. I am a little hesitant to do that with my AR as I am new to this type of rifle . I have .308 winchester load data in several of my loading manuals. I thought surely that the US Military snipers that shoot the .308 semi Auto would have special Ammo (Match) . Do you know exactly what they use ? and how it is loaded ?
Thanks
Old 03-31-2013, 10:27 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbuck View Post
I will be loading for a AR DPMS .308 Auto. I planned on using federal 210 Primers with Varget or RL -15 powder. What I usually do with my bolt guns is seat the bullet where it will just barely clear the mag well. I am a little hesitant to do that with my AR as I am new to this type of rifle . I have .308 winchester load data in several of my loading manuals. I thought surely that the US Military snipers that shoot the .308 semi Auto would have special Ammo (Match) . Do you know exactly what they use ? and how it is loaded ?
Thanks
I load for a DPMS AP4 in .308. I haven't used a crimp yet but have purchased the Taper Crimp die set. I've found on my 5.56 that the crimp is making a difference. I think the bullet is moving when the cartridge is slammed into battery. I'm also using it on match bullets w/o a canelure.

I have under .5MOA performance with 150SMK's and 44.5 grains of Varget.

AR's for coyotes
25-06 M70 for coyotes
6.5-06 Remington Custom w/Leupold Mark IV 6.5-20 tactical setup
AR10 for mule deer
6.5-06 M700 for mule deer
338 Lapua Mag M700 for elk