Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Reloading advantages?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2011, 11:30 AM
Bronze Member

Reloading advantages?

Ok, please excuse the naiveness here, but I was wondering at what point in my shooting hobby does it become beneficial to start reloading as compared to store bought ammo? Examples. I can buy 30-06 ammo at Walmart right now for $16 a box for Remington Core Lokt 180 gr and doing some simple figures looking at bulk reloading supplies it would cost me about $14 a box of 20 to reload my own. This does not factor in the cost of purchasing the reloading equipment.

I currently reload shotshell using a Mec jr that was given to me 20 years ago by my father and I'm still only saving about $1 per box of 20 shotshells ($4.97 a box of 7 1/8 trap loads at Walmart).

Again, please excuse my being a rookie at reloading, I just would love to hear all the different side here. Thank you,

Mike.
Old 01-26-2011, 11:50 AM
Gold Member

Re: Reloading advantages?

It depends on several factors.
Does a "box or 2" of factory ammo cover your shooting needs?
Is factory ammo accuracy good enough ?
Do you already have enough "hobbies" ?

Reloading is not just about savings (but there ARE savings).
Ive been reloading for over 40 years, so I think I've saved a lot of money, and it has allowed me to explore options to find the most accurate load for each rifle and handgun I own or use.

And. it's fun !
Old 01-26-2011, 11:53 AM
Bronze Member

better accuracy shoot more for less.plus it is rewarding
Old 01-26-2011, 11:59 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTBULLET View Post
It depends on several factors.
Does a "box or 2" of factory ammo cover your shooting needs?
Is factory ammo accuracy good enough ?
Do you already have enough "hobbies" ?

My wife and I do mainly bench shooting, although I am wanting to get into PD hunting. We typically consume about 4 boxes of ammo each per month. Hers is 270, mine is 30-06. Our distances rarely exceed 300 yards. As far as accuracy, I'm not sure if factory is good enough because in my 25 years of shooting I've never shot anything else so I wouldn't know. My rifle is holding about a 3/4" group at 200 yards with the Federal ammo I buy.

I have way too many hobbies yes, lol.... but this is my only "constant" hobby.
Old 01-26-2011, 12:01 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dud View Post
better accuracy shoot more for less.plus it is rewarding
Well thanks for that, I never would've guessed.
Old 01-26-2011, 05:17 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooter98 View Post
I have way too many hobbies yes, lol.... but this is my only "constant" hobby.
To me, shooting without reloading would be like going to Hawaii on vacation and not getting out of the hotel. You're missing lots of the interesting parts of it. I have not bought a factory box of ammo in 20 years, and I hope I never have to again.

You don't need to go top shelf to get started. Go to the local pawn shops. Get a good press and scales. Shop around for the basic dies you need. Used are every bit as good as new. There's lots of used stuff on the LRH forum here. Then later on if some area or another intrigues you (and it will) then you can get more detailed. But above all, have fun with it. Don't let some nuance like neck turning or sorting your brass get you down. You can take on as much as you want when you feel it's right.

-- gr8whyt
Old 01-26-2011, 06:49 PM
Silver Member

Better accuracy and velocity, bullet selection, economy, fun, recycling if you're inclined to be a little green, been doing it as long as I've been into shooting, can't imagine not doing it.