Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Reloading 7mm Rem mag

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2012, 12:47 PM
Silver Member

Re: 7mm Rem mag - Forum Search Question

Here's what may seem like a lame problem/question from someone who is otherwise technically saavy:

I am trying to find forum threads on the 7mm Rem Mag and 7mm WSM. Nothing I enter with those phrases or any part of them gives results. I always get "sorry no matches". Even when I see forum threads that have 7mm Rem Mag in the title, and I select either "search entire post" or "only titles" I get nothing. Even when I go to Reloading, and do a search on only that forum I get nothing. I have no other filters set, like date range, user name or anything else. I know it must be something I'm doing wrong. Of course if I just enter Remmington, I get pages of results.

What the heck am I missing here?

Again, a lame question I know, but I really want to just search for 7mm stuff.

Any help is appreciated.
Old 07-17-2012, 08:10 PM
Platinum Member

Re: 7mm Rem mag - Forum Search Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shootin4fun View Post
Here's what may seem like a lame problem/question from someone who is otherwise technically saavy:

I am trying to find forum threads on the 7mm Rem Mag and 7mm WSM. Nothing I enter with those phrases or any part of them gives results. I always get "sorry no matches". Even when I see forum threads that have 7mm Rem Mag in the title, and I select either "search entire post" or "only titles" I get nothing. Even when I go to Reloading, and do a search on only that forum I get nothing. I have no other filters set, like date range, user name or anything else. I know it must be something I'm doing wrong. Of course if I just enter Remmington, I get pages of results.

What the heck am I missing here?

Again, a lame question I know, but I really want to just search for 7mm stuff.

Any help is appreciated.
The problem is that 7mm, Rem and Mag are all 3 letter "words" - and too short for the Search feature.

Try *7mm* or 7mm*Rem - add the * as a spacer to make the terms longer.

I just did - works well.
Old 07-18-2012, 12:58 PM
Silver Member

Re: Reloading 7mm Rem mag

Thanks Doc! I was unaware of a minimum number of characters and the fact that "*" can be used as a space. Looked in help section/FAQs but did not see that.

Now I am happily researching your guys' comments on 7s!
Old 07-23-2012, 03:28 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker1 View Post
I am still fairly new to reloading. I did it when I was younger with my dad but am getting back into it. I bought a new savage 7mm rem mag. I have some 162gr Hornady SSV's, leftover IMR4831 powder, and Federal 215 primers. I was told to get new brass instead of reusing the old 7mm brass that I have. What brass maker should I get? What is the correct procedure for reloading new brass? Does it have to be FL resized or sized at all? Do I need to trim them?

I have shot deer with the 7mmRM and 162 gr Hornady SST. [I think that is what you meant.]

That pic is of my first 7mmRM and now I have a reamer and have built 3 more 7mmRM rifles.

Belted magnum brass does not work well with multiple rifles.

Get the brass new and segregate it to one rifle.
Alternatively, the Innovative Technologies die is supposed to make them compatible, I have one, but I still want the brass segregated to each rifle.

I like to FL resize the brass and push back the shoulder .001".
When i chamber them, I headspace at .215", not the SAAMI sloppy .220" like factory rifles.
Old 07-23-2012, 06:23 PM
Platinum Member

I've shot some of my 7mm rem brass in three different rifles and it is still just fine. You should fl size the brass so it fits the new rifles chamber, but if they aren't shot until they are thin above the web, or cracking the neck, they are usable. If you want to get more, by all means, but don't toss 'em just because.
Old 07-24-2012, 07:01 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark View Post
Belted magnum brass does not work well with multiple rifles.

When i chamber them, I headspace at .215", not the SAAMI sloppy .220" like factory rifles.
Brand new belted magnum brass has shot well enough in SAAMI sloppy .220" headspaced chambers across several rifles to shoot well under 1 MOA at 1000 yards in long range match rifles used by military and civilian rifle teams and individuals. Civilian folks would full length size their cases back to virtual new case dimensions using standard dies and the predecessor die (middle section of a full length sizing die) to the current Innovative Tech. collet die. The military teams would handload a thousand rounds of ammo with the same component lots with new cases and shoot them in a dozen or so rifles at the Nationals; all with excellent accuracy.

That's as good as the 28 and 30 caliber 1000 yard benchrest rifles do these days; the best of them shoot no worse than 3/4 MOA. And on rare occasions, clump a few shots into 2/10 MOA or thereabouts.
Old 07-24-2012, 09:03 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart B View Post
..SAAMI sloppy .220" headspaced chambers across several rifles to shoot well under 1 MOA at 1000 yards...
And if brass manufacturers ever make any brass longer than .215" to the belt, they will be ready for it