Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Reloading 7mm Rem mag

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2009, 09:57 PM
Silver Member

Reloading 7mm Rem mag

I am still fairly new to reloading. I did it when I was younger with my dad but am getting back into it. I bought a new savage 7mm rem mag. I have some 162gr Hornady SSV's, leftover IMR4831 powder, and Federal 215 primers. I was told to get new brass instead of reusing the old 7mm brass that I have. What brass maker should I get? What is the correct procedure for reloading new brass? Does it have to be FL resized or sized at all? Do I need to trim them?
Old 08-31-2009, 10:46 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Reloading 7mm Rem mag

If you are getting new brass, I would recommend Norma for the 7mm Rem Mag, that is what I use.

I usually resize new brass just enough to make the necks round. I'll lightly chamfer the neck to ease the bullet seating process. I uniform the flash hole and the primer pocket.

Then after it's fired once, I'll trim the lot to a common size (will trim them all to the length of the shortest piece of brass). I'll then chamfer lightly the inside and outside of the necks and polish the inside of the neck and the chamfer area with some steel wool (wrapped around a bronze brush chucked in my drill press for the inside of the neck and some steel wool stuffed inside a socket that is chucked into my drillpress for the chamfer area).

Then reload as normal. I always measure the headspace of my once fired brass and try to match that with my full length resizing. I use the Hornady cartridge comparator kit (headspace case gauge kit) and my calipers to measure and document the once fired length.

I always work my loads up over a chronograph, so I know everything about ever shot I take.

Hope this helps.

The 162gr bullets and the H4831 will work just fine to get you started. Do a search for 7mm Rem Mag in the reloading section for tons of additional info.

Good luck,
AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Old 09-01-2009, 07:43 PM
Silver Member

Thanks for the info. So you are saying that you neck size only for the first time?
Old 09-01-2009, 07:57 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker1 View Post
Thanks for the info. So you are saying that you neck size only for the first time?

Basically yes. I am only making the necks round by running them over the expander button and up into the die a little (just enough to get all the necks nice and round).

AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Old 09-01-2009, 09:27 PM
Silver Member

That leads me to another ?. I only have FL dies. I see what you are saying for new brass. Would I have to get a neck die in order to size the neck only and deprime?
Old 09-01-2009, 09:40 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker1 View Post
That leads me to another ?. I only have FL dies. I see what you are saying for new brass. Would I have to get a neck die in order to size the neck only and deprime?
Nope, just adjust the FL die so it resizes about 3/4 of the neck, you'll be able to see how far up into the die the neck is going.

AJ

Old 07-16-2012, 12:27 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ Peacock View Post
Basically yes. I am only making the necks round by running them over the expander button and up into the die a little (just enough to get all the necks nice and round).

AJ
Huh, I don't get this! How do you avoid resizing the neck every time you reload, considering the expander ball is at the base of the deprimer pin?