Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Reloading 50 year old brass????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2014, 10:02 PM
Silver Member

Reloading 50 year old brass????

I was digging through some of my old mans older brass today and happened to stumble upon 5 brand new boxes of 243 norma brass that appears to be from the 60's or 70's. It is new brass but was a little discolored so i through it all in the tumbler for a few hours and it looks brand new. I guess my question is does anybody think that this brass wouldnt be safe to load? It just so happens my new tikka t3 lite in 243 should be in on tuesday so id like to give this brass a try
Old 04-19-2014, 11:01 PM
Gold Member

Re: Reloading 50 year old brass????

Quote:
Originally Posted by motown View Post
I was digging through some of my old mans older brass today and happened to stumble upon 5 brand new boxes of 243 norma brass that appears to be from the 60's or 70's. It is new brass but was a little discolored so i through it all in the tumbler for a few hours and it looks brand new. I guess my question is does anybody think that this brass wouldnt be safe to load? It just so happens my new tikka t3 lite in 243 should be in on tuesday so id like to give this brass a try
being never fired brass it might be ok but it is risky personally I would anneal the mouth first it could be brittle. Actually I would not use it its not worth it to me...
Old 04-20-2014, 12:27 AM
Platinum Member

Has it been stored inside in a climate controlled area?

I would say as long as they cleaned right up you should be good to go. I'd load up 20 of them and see how they shoot and if they crack or are brittle in any way. If not, then I'd say go for it, and that you just stumbled into a box of luck.

As a self-taught, self-started, and self-learned reloader (nobody else in my family does) that is the kind of box we all wish we could stumble upon. But I never will, so all my stuff is fairly recent, unless I pickup some old brass from the range and repurpose it. LOL

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 04-20-2014, 12:54 AM
Gold Member

As long as the brass has no corrosion you are good to go. It's perfectly safe. tumble it, prep it and load'er up!

I have several hundred Lake City and Lake City Match brass from the 50's and 60's that I've fire formed and load for my .30-06 AI many have been loaded over 10 times without losing any. Norma Brass is even better!

You found a wonderful stash and I know it'll be put to good use!

Dano
Old 04-20-2014, 06:18 AM
Silver Member

Thanks for the replys! Yeah its been stored in a climate controlled area and it literally looks brand new after a little bit of tumbiling. Anybody know of any collectors that might want the empty norma boxes? All 5 of the boxes are in great shape and id almost hate to see them go in the trash but i have no use for them. If anybody is interesed let me know.
Old 04-20-2014, 07:36 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by motown View Post
Chances are, It is better than the brass we can buy now.

It could be a different alloy and volume than todays brass so don,t start with Max loadings and you will be fine.

Norma use to make very good brass and you should like it.

In my opinion, You are lucky because today there brass is one of the most expensive.

J E CUSTOM
Old 04-20-2014, 09:16 AM
Bronze Member

You might be all right, but -- well --

Last summer I loaded some .30-06 brass that was around 35 years old and shot it through my Garand. I had all kinds of problems, from the necks splitting, to the necks coming completly OFF and jamming into the chamber. I won't do that again, and honestly, even at $50 for a box of 20, brass is relatively cheap for what you get out of it.

I say you should replace that brass with new.