Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Reloading 5.56

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2013, 11:14 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Reloading 5.56

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve smith View Post
5.56 and .223 are identical. The only thing you may have to change is the FL size die, but only if the reloads are intended to be used in automatic rifles. If so, then you may have to use a small base fl size die.

But, like I said "you may have to" not you will have to. If you already have the dies, load some up and test them. The only real problem you may run into is that they may not fully chamber. If that is the case then switch to a small base size die and you should be good to go!
Hit the nail on the head... More often than not, you will need to use a Small-Base (SB) die for .223/5.56 for proper cycling in automatic rifles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varmint Hunter View Post
The primary difference in the cases is reportedly that the military 5.56 cases are heavier and have less case capacity. Thus, resulting in higher pressure than a .223 case with a similar load.

Guns chambered for the 5.56 usually have longer throats to accommodate longer/heavier bullets.
Also correct, the thicker heavier cases of the 5.56 stamped brass (also always has the NATO hallmark on the headstamp) create greater chamber pressures therefore are a little bit "hotter" of a round than the standard .223 Rem loads. Also, the 5.56 chambers are throated longer to accept the longer profile military projectiles, vs the civilian .223 projectiles. The longer 5.56 bullets can get jammed in the rifling and can get stuck in the barrel when the case is extracted, causing serious issues. Which is why you can shoot 5.56 & .223 out of a gun with a barrel stamped 5.56 on it. But you are not recommended to shoot 5.56 out of a barrel stamped .223 on it.

I reload for my M6A1, and I use the RCBS 5.56/.223 SB (Small Base) die set. It works just fine for me. Zero cycling issues.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 07-11-2013, 08:00 AM
Platinum Member

I hope that the OP is still not waiting for all this info after 4 years.

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
Old 07-11-2013, 08:27 AM
Platinum Member

Who keeps diggin up these old threads!?!?!?

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Old 07-11-2013, 12:53 PM
Platinum Member

Again, as I mentioned back in 2009 (!), the LC 5.56mm military brass is no heavier than the commercial 223 cases, and do not require a reduction in load data. This is a hold-over from the military 7.62mm and GI 30-06 cases which were significantly heavier than commercial brass, and did require a slight reduction in loads.

Not the case (no pun intended) with the 5.56mm/223 Rem cases. Several of the commercial brands have notably less capacity than the LC 5.56mm cases, and will max out earlier than the military brass.

Sorry, pet peeve of mine since I see this one repeated far too often.
Old 07-11-2013, 05:49 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
LL!

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
Old 07-11-2013, 09:00 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Thomas View Post
Again, as I mentioned back in 2009 (!), the LC 5.56mm military brass is no heavier than the commercial 223 cases, and do not require a reduction in load data. This is a hold-over from the military 7.62mm and GI 30-06 cases which were significantly heavier than commercial brass, and did require a slight reduction in loads.

Not the case (no pun intended) with the 5.56mm/223 Rem cases. Several of the commercial brands have notably less capacity than the LC 5.56mm cases, and will max out earlier than the military brass.

Sorry, pet peeve of mine since I see this one repeated far too often.
Hey Kev, any word from the Finns about the .257 Wby, 7Mag, & 7 STW stuff?

Quote:
Old 07-11-2013, 10:21 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FEENIX View Post
I hope that the OP is still not waiting for all this info after 4 years.
Maybe he already found out what the lateral holes in the receiver are for... I call 'em dummy holes......

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
Uninformed posters.....