Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

which reloader?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2009, 11:20 AM
Platinum Member

Re: which reloader?

If your going to reload let me suggest a book to read. “Handloading for Competition” by Glen Zediker. ISBN # 0-9626925-9-X. He covers everthing from A to Z in a way even I could understand. Most informative read on reloading and the reloading tools I have ever read.

There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man. Sir Winston Churchill.

Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom. Einstein
Old 02-03-2009, 02:12 PM
Platinum Member

Get a Hornady LnL, Redding Boss, Lyman Orange, Rockchucker and Lee Classic Cast, they are so equal in performance that it won't make a bit of difference to your reloading. The only presses that are superior to them in any way are the Forster Co-Ax and Redding UltraMag, but not by much, and each of them have some disadvantages that detract from that, so hardly worth the extra cost.

Seems many of us give far more loyalty to our favorite presses that can be justified by the facts. Presses are quite simple devices and there's no secrets to how they are made, so there's precious little difference between them, by type anyway. Pick any one of those above and you will be happy with it, you simply can't go wrong with any of them.

Ditto with dies. All are good and your ammo will never know how much or how little you paid. Well actually, Lyman and Redding have the "best" handgun dies but only because of their unique expander plugs. (Redding copied Lyman's excellant "M" expander die)

Other stuff; For dealing with powder, you will have to a powder scale. You should understand that digital scales are no more accurate than beams but the better ones cost a lot and are much more finicky. Also, get a good powder measure - Redding, Hornady, Lyman or RCBS, all good. Those and a trickler - Redding, Hornady - will make a nice combo to handle your powder charges.

Try the spray case lubes for your handgun stuff and use a finger tip applied lube for rife cases - Lee , Hornady's Unique, Redding's Die Wax are all very good. And put a stuck-case remover - RCBS - on your first list, you will need it later.

Get a good standard reloading manual or two. Start with a Lyman, maybe add a Hornady, Sierra or Lee. You will want more later, they are all quite useful books, no one prints a bad manual.

With all due respects to Glen Zediker and his (expensive) "Handloading for Competition" book, I feel that the good professor writes a lot of words for us to plow through to get the relevant data he provides. Ir'a good book but Glen's not what anyone would call succinct! And he speaks mostly - surprise - to hand loading for military match competition and that's mostly with AR type rifles! Let me suggest an alternative in what I feel is the best "advanced" loading book for most or us, and at a much lesser cost; "The Precision Shooting Reloading Guide", edited by Dave Brennan of Precision Shooting magazine. It's much broaded in its application and is a lot more practicle because of that. (IMHO) MidwayUSA and Sinclair used to sell both books, guess they still do.

All that's a bit more than you asked but it seems relivant for where you are now. Good luck!

Last edited by boomtube; 02-03-2009 at 02:47 PM.
Old 02-03-2009, 06:01 PM
Silver Member

I just purchased a Forster co-ax. Works better than I even expected. More pricey than a rockchucker, but well worth the money imho. No shellholders to buy for this model which is attractive and helps with the increased cost. Dies are a breeze to change. Primer dust and dirt goes down the tube so it stays clean. Priming tool on top leaves a lot to be desired though!
Old 02-04-2009, 08:43 AM
Platinum Member

I really like the Co=Ax, but as I mentioned above, like all other presses, it has a few warts. One is the priming. My solution is to use a hand held primer. The Lee AutoPrime is simple, easy to use and works fine for me.

Other thing I don't care for is the lever being directly in from of it's guts so it's equally awkward for both left and right handers. But it works good, don't it?