Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading


Reply

Reloader 33 temp sensitivity and consistency

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-14-2013, 11:58 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Tillamook, Oregon
Posts: 381
Reloader 33 temp sensitivity and consistency

Hi guys. By now I'm sure that someone has done testing with RL33 powder to quantify it's temperature sensitivity or lack of. I would also like to know if you have found it difficult to get very low ES numbers of say 10 or under. I have a long barreled 300 RUM being built and am planning on going with Retumbo for this long of a barrel but have been reading good things about RL33. I would appreciate hearing your results on RL33 either way.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-15-2013, 07:09 AM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: N.D.
Posts: 2,812
Re: Reloader 33 temp sensitivity and consistency

I'd have some #'s for you but it's been a prarie hurricane around here lately. I have been using rl33 with 225 hdy pills in my 300 rum since last fall but haven't gotten a chrono on them yet.
I can tell you that accuracy doesn't change. Accuracy changes between hot and cold mean a lot more to me than a few fps. You can account for velocity but if the accuracy goes to pot, well the show's over.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-15-2013, 12:14 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Tillamook, Oregon
Posts: 381
Re: Reloader 33 temp sensitivity and consistency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty7mmstw View Post
I'd have some #'s for you but it's been a prarie hurricane around here lately. I have been using rl33 with 225 hdy pills in my 300 rum since last fall but haven't gotten a chrono on them yet.
I can tell you that accuracy doesn't change. Accuracy changes between hot and cold mean a lot more to me than a few fps. You can account for velocity but if the accuracy goes to pot, well the show's over.
So you say the accuracy doesn't change, can you be more specific? Have you done tests at say 800-1000 yards to check for poi differences between low ambient temps and high temps?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-15-2013, 12:29 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 268
Re: Reloader 33 temp sensitivity and consistency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumbleweed View Post
So you say the accuracy doesn't change, can you be more specific? Have you done tests at say 800-1000 yards to check for poi differences between low ambient temps and high temps?
I have never tried RL-33, but I think what he is trying to tell you is he dials for powder temperature related velocity changes, but accuracy remains unchanged.

FWIW I find the same thing with RL-22 in my 300Winchesters...The bugholes are still there....They just happen a little faster or slower. Dial accordingly.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-15-2013, 02:23 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Tillamook, Oregon
Posts: 381
Re: Reloader 33 temp sensitivity and consistency

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-man View Post
I have never tried RL-33, but I think what he is trying to tell you is he dials for powder temperature related velocity changes, but accuracy remains unchanged.

FWIW I find the same thing with RL-22 in my 300Winchesters...The bugholes are still there....They just happen a little faster or slower. Dial accordingly.
One thing I'm not interested in is dialing another correction for overly temp sensitive powder. I had a really bad experience several years ago using RL22 before I understood how temperatures effect most powders. I switched to Hodgdon H1000 shortly after that. I can shoot year around from 40 degrees to 90 degrees without worry of getting overpressure or having a poi change at long range. If RL33 is anything like RL22, no thanks. I'm sure someone on here has done the old cartridges in ice test and then compared to 100 degree cartridges through a chronograph?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-15-2013, 02:59 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 268
Re: Reloader 33 temp sensitivity and consistency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumbleweed View Post
One thing I'm not interested in is dialing another correction for overly temp sensitive powder. I had a really bad experience several years ago using RL22 before I understood how temperatures effect most powders. I switched to Hodgdon H1000 shortly after that. I can shoot year around from 40 degrees to 90 degrees without worry of getting overpressure or having a poi change at long range. If RL33 is anything like RL22, no thanks. I'm sure someone on here has done the old cartridges in ice test and then compared to 100 degree cartridges through a chronograph?
I understand H-1000 is less likely to cause a pressure problem over an extreme variation of temperature, but are you suggesting you can shoot from 40-90 degrees in the same hole at 1000 yards?

I use H-1000 in a lot of rifles and I can not?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-15-2013, 04:06 PM
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: oregon
Posts: 700
Re: Reloader 33 temp sensitivity and consistency

I get no change from 32 degrees to 95 with h1000 and retumbo.. and I shoot a long ways.. I have been meaning to try one of these cans of rl33.. I shall try it soon see what's up.. my es.. SD and velocity doesn't change but like +/-2 in that temp range with h1000 or retumbo
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Current Poll
Do you plan to buy a new custom rifle in the next 12 months?
YES - Of course - 72.92%
1,651 Vote
NO - wife/girlfriend won't let me. - 27.08%
613 Votes
Total Votes: 2,264
You may not vote on this poll.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:31 AM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC