Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Reload company

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2009, 11:25 AM

Reload company

Hello Reloaders

I could you some help or advise. I don't reload, but I found a guy at Precise Ammunition that will reload for me. He sounds like he's been doing it for awhile and knows what he's doing. I'm just a little nervous because I'm new to this and well you know the product does go "BOOM". So I just want to find out more about him and the company. Like has any one have used his services or ammo? Like I said he seems nice and knowledgeable just don't want to move to fast.

Thanks for any advise.

rookie1
Old 02-21-2009, 11:59 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Reload company

I have never heard of this company before, but it does look legit upon first glance. I can't speak to whether or not they are good.

I would be skeptical about it, but I am generally a skeptical guy ;). I have no idea how expensive the ammo is, but I would think it is pretty spendy cuz the guy has to guarantee his product and go through a fair amount of load development to do a good job.

What caliber are you shooting?? If you can get your hands on match grade ammo, I would go that route until you can reload.

I know a few people around my area that found a guy who makes 223 bulk and sells it reasonable. This is not "custom" ammo, but it is good quality - and reasonably priced. I don't think you will find "custom" ammo reasonably priced.

Edit: I just looked at the site again and there is very limited evidence that they actually do load for military, law enforcement. He says "we can provide", not that they do provide. Just food for thought.

Last edited by britz; 02-21-2009 at 12:03 PM.
Old 02-21-2009, 12:19 PM
Platinum Member

I can not find this company. How do I find it to look at them? I have done some custom reloading for clients with great success. My opinion is that if you are not sending them the rifle to do the load development then you are not getting custom loads. The stuff that I have done has been time and material and has generally been in the $500-$600 range for 100 rounds of custom ammunition loaded for their rifle. Depends on how tough it is to find a load that the particular rifle likes.

Steve
Old 02-21-2009, 01:07 PM
Platinum Member

here is the site I looked at, think this is the one he is talking about. Custom Ammo Home

I do some loading for friends and family, man I work way way too cheap lol!
Rocky is right, good load development takes lots of time, componants and patience.
Old 02-21-2009, 01:30 PM

Yes, britz that is the company (preciseammunition.com). I seen it on the side here from the ad by google. So I just checked it out and emailed him a couple of times. I'm not looking for a true custom load. I just told him what I'm looking for, and he said he could do it.

If you were wondering what I'm looking for is:

308 Win
Hornday 165g SST
Varget powder 42 -44 (he said 43.5)
Laupa, Hornday or Fed brass

Thats what I would like to shoot, but Hornday only sells the 165 SST in a bullet, they will make if I can find a distributor that wants min 5000 boxes. So like I said I'm just trying to find someone who knows alot about reloading and can do it for me.

Last edited by rookie1; 02-21-2009 at 01:38 PM.
Old 02-21-2009, 01:44 PM
Platinum Member

Have you tried Nosler balistic tips?? You can get nosler 165 custom from midway soon for $46 a box. not sure what this guy is going to charge you. If you are getting Lapua brass, you could always sell the brass on line after you shoot it for a little money too. It's just too bad you don't know someone close by who can just run you a batch.
Old 02-21-2009, 02:26 PM

They may be great loaders, BUT I have never bitten for the custom loading hook. Just because a load is put together precisely doesn't mean it will shoot well in your rifle. I reload for a few friends, but I ALWAYS have the rifle on hand and build a load for the rifle. You'll spend some kind of money buying various loads testing them in your rifle to find which one is best. IF you settle for "pretty good", then you might as well shoot factory ammunition.