Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

reload for 7mm mag

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2013, 03:31 PM
Platinum Member

Re: reload for 7mm mag

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRasmussen View Post
I am using 70gr of H1000 with Fed 215 primers and Barnes 168gr LRX, velocity is 3045fps. It is right at .5" at 200 yds. Yet to hit an elk with it but on paper looks good.
This is my load in my A-Bolt 7mmRM, but substitute out the Barnes 168 for a Berger 168 VLD bullet.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 08-19-2013, 05:48 PM
Banned

I hear barns triple shock are devastating on game and folks in Afghanistan
Old 08-19-2013, 07:02 PM
Platinum Member

On game, I can attest that they function great. For years I used factory loaded Federal Premium 7mm RM loaded with the Barnes 160 TSX's that were XLC coated (blue). That ammo's product number is P7RK. They haven't made it in years, but if you find some, and you shoot a 7mm RM, that was some awesome whitetail ammo. Shot true and flat out to 500 for me.

However, I can't recall ever hearing about them testing Barnes bullets on hadji's... LOL I would be interested in seeing the results of that test, though...

I imagine the Snip's are probably still using surplus FMJ's the gov't purchased back in Vietnam...Knowing the gov't...

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 08-19-2013, 08:32 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRasmussen View Post
I am using 70gr of H1000 with Fed 215 primers and Barnes 168gr LRX, velocity is 3045fps. It is right at .5" at 200 yds. Yet to hit an elk with it but on paper looks good.
All I do is up the H-1000 to 71grn an just like MudRunner, I shoot the 168 VLD! Another good bullet is the 168 SMK! Works good in two of my 7mags! Hope this helps!

DT
Old 08-19-2013, 08:54 PM
Banned

A couple of buds from and shown me some video's and pictures of terrorist wounds during identification that are very impressive. .. they shot 7mmRm and 300win mag..
Old 08-20-2013, 07:56 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ofdscooby View Post
That sounds like a good load for the condor zone have you messed with the Nosler etips yet I'm waiting on a benchmark barrel and going to try working up loads for accu bonds and etips with it.
I have not tried the ETips, are they non-lead? I do live and hunt in the damn condor zone so I am forced to use the non lead bullets. I must say that they have performed well on mulies for me in the past. My load for them is the 145gr LRX over RL22. The past 2 seasons both have been dropped in their tracks and complete pass through.

The original load of 70gr of H1000 was started after a lengthy email conversation with Aaron Davidson @Gunwerks. They are currently using 70gr of H1000 over the Berger 168VLD in their 7mm rifles. As we have all seen the show and the end result the VLD is a good bullet as well.

As for now, I cannot use anything but non lead in my area. That will be changing in the next year as I am leaving the commie state of CA. But with the results I have had from the Barnes bullets I see no reason to change just because I relocated
Old 08-20-2013, 09:08 AM
Silver Member

Yes the ETIP is non lead. Machined from a single piece of metal, designed to open on impact (at least 2000fps is required for full expantion).
They work great as I have previously mentioned and I have yet to find any pieces of metal in the meat.