Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Redding type S neck sizing die question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2013, 01:56 AM
Silver Member

Redding type S neck sizing die question

I was wondering how many people run there bushing style neck sizer's without a expander ball. When ever I size my brass it makes my runout worse. Before I size it is usually .001-002. , then it's about .003-.004. Some gets a high as .006. Have tried rotating the brass and then running it through again. Doesn't seem to help. So I figured i would try sizing with out a ball. Just want to make sure it was safe to do.

Have not turned the necks yet, saving up some funds for it.
Old 11-26-2013, 03:54 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Redding type S neck sizing die question

I don't pull an expander ball through necks, but instead expand in a separate operation with a Sinclair mandrel system.
SINCLAIR GENERATION II EXPANDER DIES | Sinclair Intl
SINCLAIR EXPANDER MANDREL - OVERSIZED | Sinclair Intl

Expansion before bullet seating is important and can reduce loaded runout over bad or no expansion.
It pushes neck thickness variance outward for straighter bullet seating.
It can establish very consistent neck tension, combined with the proper bushing size for necks.
It reduces bullet seating forces, which allows more consistent seating base to ogive.

Bullets should not be used as expanders(they aren't hard enough).
Old 11-26-2013, 06:27 AM
Gold Member

Mike , how much do you down size the neck with the bushing ? thanks Jim
Old 11-26-2013, 09:52 AM
Platinum Member

I downsize 2thou under cal (after springback), then expand to 1thou under (after springback).
You could just downsize to 1thou under after springback, but the springback continues over time to counter last action, which in this case would be reducing bullet grip.
Old 11-26-2013, 09:54 AM
Silver Member

Ok just so that I have the process correct. You don't run any expander ball. But instead just use the bushing. Then you set up the Expander mandrel and run the brass into it so that will seat with out having to use excessive force to get the bullet into the brass.

With this process what size bushing do you go with?. .001 or .002 larger than a loaded case neck?

Also, does this method work if you have turned the necks yet?
Old 11-26-2013, 11:46 AM
Platinum Member

Your bushing could be 3thou under loaded neck diameter.
But this is affected by the fired neck diameter as left by your chamber. When bushing sizing exceeds 5thou things get trial & error.
So if you have a big ole sloppy chamber the math may not work out, and you might need less bushing downsizing than you thought..
Old 11-26-2013, 08:03 PM
Platinum Member

I have a type-S in 300WSM that I run an expander ball in with no measurable change in runout.

I also have a Type-S in 338LM where the expander always adds runout. I removed the expander, and voila- no more issues. If your brass is consistent, there is no reason not to try to use your existing set without the expander to see what results you get. Just make sure the bushing you choose isn't sizing too much (test with your removed expander - if it is just too tight to push it in you should be good).

I have several competition bushing dies as well, and they don't come with an expander. My 2C is try and see what you've got before moving on to an expander mandrel.